Author Topic: white "threads" in the soil  (Read 5144 times)

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
white "threads" in the soil
« on: June 17, 2010, 23:59:10 »
When I was earthing up the potatoes from the centre of the bed, where I had dug in some rotted manure in the spring , I noticed under the surface of the soil a sort of white thready effect- I just mixed it in to the soil, but now am wondering what it was and if it is harmful?  This is my first season, and I apologise for all the questions I seem to have!

Buster54

• Acre
Re: white "threads" in the soil
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 08:34:33 »
I aint no expert but it may be a type of soil fungus which thrive on both dead and decaying matter in the soil,which may have been kick started by too wet conditions
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 08:47:42 »
Hi...there is not telling what sort if fungal growth it is with out laboratory testing..sometimes if they send up some mushrooms..well then the job maybe easier.. ::)
But as it assosiated with manure..well that happens often...and I would not be worried  ;D
Anyway..if you do not ask..you will not find out.. ;) First season or not we all have lots of question..it is never ending.. ::) ;D

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 09:46:52 »
the white thread-like fungus you saw is one of the most common types of fungus found in decaying plant matter. it is so common, it is what gives soil that 'earthy' smell!!
don't worry at all, it's all good!!   ;) ;)
You couldn't make it up!

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 19:04:00 »
thanks everyone- one day I'll be able to reassure others with my acquired knowledge, I hope!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal