Author Topic: Strimming in the rain?  (Read 11394 times)

earlypea

• Hectare
Strimming in the rain?
« on: June 08, 2010, 10:05:43 »
A bit of a stupid question, which is why I ask it here, but I don't have much experience of this.

I can't plant out because of the goddam rain, which is boring now though I longed for it so much  :-\ and I had this week free to finish off, pretty much, my summer planting for this year.

I have a very wild patch, tough tall grasses and mixed weed assortment and paths and wotnot to strim - is it feasible and easy to strim in the rain or does it reduce performance of the machine?

My el cheapo Tesco grass strimmer is absolutely useless whatever the weather so I thought I'd hire a proper one for the day.

Thanks

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Strimming in the rain?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 10:23:02 »
I would not strim when everything is wet..even if it not actually raining..as you will not get good cut even with powerful machine..when wet...greenery is so heavy and "sticky"..and it doesn't stand up for you to be able to get bottom of it..it will clump around  the cutting head and it is not able to flick the greenery away from it..yes you can by all means try but you will quite likely to find it very difficult and fustrating job..very slow too..and what you can achieve by doing it when dry it might take you twice as long when wet.. ::)..and when greenery dries out, you'll find tufts popping up that you have missed..as they been lying flat under all that weight of water...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 10:29:47 by goodlife »

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 10:27:47 »
So why can't you plant out in the rain?  ;D ;D   It is the very best time.  Brassicas in particular like being moved in the rain and I usually pick a wet day especially to plant out my purple sporting broccoli.  

Grass does not cut well in the rain.  Mower, strimmer, shearers I think all need the grass to be dry to work well.

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 10:34:43 »
So why can't you plant out in the rain?
because I need to dig in compost first (not brassicas) and too wet to do that - no strimming, no planting, week off - damned rain  ::)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 10:37:16 by earlypea »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 11:17:16 »
Oh no..rain is good..now is time to catch up with those other jobs that doesn't get done when spending time outdoors.. ;D..or just gathering strenght for the time when rain stops and sun shines..then you can roll up your sleeves and work twice as hard... ;)..where I come from we have saying that goes..well thought job is job half done..so get planning.. ;) ;D

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 11:21:06 »
We had some rain this morning, but not the right sort!  We need the driving kind so that we can find out where the new shower screen shed roof is leaking!

And no, DO NOT STRIM IN THE RAIN!

What are you planting?

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 11:37:59 »
)..where I come from we have saying that goes..well thought job is job half done..so get planning.. ;) ;D
....but they also say time and tide wait for no man - and it's all going to be too late!!!

Lots of panicking squashes and a handful of remaining toms gwynnethmary, but I also need to strim the grasses first or half of them will be badly shaded.

I am organised, but was working on proper paid work flat out through spring and early summer with only one day a week to prepare everything......that's why it's all too little too late, though I'm impressed I managed to achieve about two thirds of 'the plan', but disappointing in the end when plants have been nurtured for so long beforehand and are now passing their prime

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 11:43:17 »
Sounds like you've done brilliantly already!  Would it be possible to just use shears around the actual planting hole, get the plants in, and then strim the rest when the grass etc. dries off a bit?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 11:50:28 »
...all good things comes to those who wait.. ;D ;)..If you are in panic..yes do as qwynnethmary said..get them in and sort around it later.. ;)

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 11:55:05 »
If you strim in the rain you'll end up plastered in green. ;D

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 08:06:05 »
...all good things comes to those who wait..
What....like blackfly and weeds (only joking  ;) )

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal