Author Topic: Fencing around plots  (Read 5921 times)

Cookieka

• Not So New ...
Fencing around plots
« on: May 27, 2010, 09:51:39 »
Hi there.  Our Council does not allow plotholders to erect fences around their plots.  Does anyone else have the same rule and if so why do you think it is?  Or are you allowed to erect fences but maybe with some sort of restriction?

elvis2003

• Hectare
Re: Fencing around plots
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 10:05:05 »
we dont have the same rule in iverpool,some sites do,some sites dont. we dont at ours and im glad,i much prefer the open plan look and feel. it could be cause fencing could create shade...or that folk would start locking their pots
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 11:02:10 »
Ours is a private owned allotment site. Almost all have fences erected. I wouldn't want it any other way as some people take their dogs with them, they would be running everywhere without fencing.

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 11:14:00 »
We have fences around our plots,to mark out our territory only thing is they look a right eyesore bits of this and bits of that nailed on,my plot has hawthorn and privet on one side and a few scatterings of bushes on the other,I have introduced a dozen or so blackcurrant bushes and a redcurrant and half a dozen gooseberry bushes to try and fill the gaps so hopefully by the time I retire I will have a 40mtr long fruit hedge,fencing is ok if it looks the same all round but I prefer the wild bush look    
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 11:26:20 »
My site is listed on the basis of the hedges. The Council won't introduce special rules for us, but where there are hedges, we take an extremely dim view of anyone cutting them down!

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 11:36:29 »
Ours is a private owned allotment site. Almost all have fences erected. I wouldn't want it any other way as some people take their dogs with them, they would be running everywhere without fencing.
thankfully not the case at our site,all dogs are to be on leads at all times,and all dog owners respect this clause in the tenancy agreement
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Isleworth

• Half Acre
    • http://plot31a.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 11:44:09 »
Over here in West London, we are also not allowed to fence individual plots...

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 12:10:17 »
We have a huge problem with dogs, I lost lots of parsnips to something with huge paws it simply ran down the row of emerging seedlings and squashed them and we get poo on the paths and even on the plots.

I have put peas/sweet peas and beans supported by hazel twigs and together with fruit bushes and raspberry they are enclosing the area but I have not got a fence!!!

The first peas are beginning to flower so it looks quite attractive.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 12:14:52 »
No individual fences on our site, not sure if they are allowed. Personally I would hate to be fenced in. No dogs allowed either-except one, no idea why he's allowed though.  ::)
Smile, it confuses people.

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 12:16:28 »
we're allowed to erect some sort of fencing but it musn't be over 4ft high (which i think is a good rule).

we're making a fence out of pallets because i've got kids who like to wander and chickens whom we're going to let out occasionally, and yeah my mum brings her dog sometimes.

First time allotment holder, second time mum.

Growing4twins

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 13:00:06 »
According 2 birmingham city council fences are not allowed, but they dnt really enforce the rules on our site, they leave all of that to the association.

I had 18mth old twins when i 1st took on the allotment so i made a little pen 4 them out of chicken wire until they learnt where their boundries where.  It only lasted 1 summer tho, my son soon learnt how to climb over it!  Thankfully they have been really good with not going on2 other peoples gardens & they know where 2 play.  But for some strange reason last year everybody started to put up fences around thier plots.  Some look nice, some not so nice, my neighbour put up some of that bright orange plastic stuff that builders use.  I have planted a load of sweet peas along the fence so hope fully it should look really nice in a few weeks!
Is loving how the twins are really getting into planting seeds this year!  two for the price of one!! :D http://i46.tinypic.com/zy7ww8.jpg[/img]

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 20:25:51 »
Most fences around our site are 4-6ft made of wire mesh or hedges.  Some plots are open but each plotholder may erect a boundary fence if they so wish.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

little pud

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 15:08:22 »
we put a rabbit proof fence all round ours last year.....just posts and the small chicken wire u can buy, only 3ft high, ask if u are allowed to do that.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 15:28:51 »
Hi all,

My number one plot where I mostly grow fruit and have my greenhouse and tool shed has a 4 feet high chain link fence down one long side and blackberries at both short ends. my neighbour has a fence down one long side of his plot so we are effectively fenced in together. I did it mainly to stop my stalker randomly entering my plot by creating a single point of entry but it also stops visitors from browsing my fruit. I have a mesh extension on the top closest to some of my most vulnerable trees and I will continue to add more of that this summer.

I  have moved various fruit bushes and roses to create a hedge along it too.

My top plot is completely open, most of the plots on our site are but some people have fences, sometimes to maintain soil levels as our site is on a slope.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

camo_lady

• Quarter Acre
  • Whitwick/Thringstone, Leics
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 20:40:08 »
we're on a private allotment site where fencing is required to keep other sods from wandering all over the place and one chap's dog messing on our veg.

We've not yet been able to fence along the drive {front} of our plot, but aiming to do that this summer now we've bought our shed and got it put up!
Kill nothing, save it be helpful in death, or harmful in life! (Scartanore)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 22:06:35 »
Our site has loads of electric badger fences and very narrow paths - I understand why they do it, as badgers are partial to nibbling veg, but I do hate the fences.

And it's not a traditional fence, but at the moment I'm slowly erecting a rather shoddy looking plastic windbreak round areas where delicate plants are - but one day I'd like permanent fence posts in around the whole plot, and then put up the plastic windbreak in spring and take it down in winter when storms would probably shred it.

Gosh I make it sound like the arctic!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal