Author Topic: Grants  (Read 4924 times)

fuchsia

• Not So New ...
Grants
« on: May 26, 2010, 22:26:31 »
Hi All

I am trying to find out where to apply for a grant towards a toilet or two on our allotment site. We have been fundraising and have saved a fair few pennies but we are still quite away from saving what we need. I have been reading on other allotment sites they have managed to get grants towards toilets.
We now have 89 plotholders on site and alot of these are women and children.  Our local council isn`t that interested in helping us and I wondered if any other allotment sites had secured funding and who did they get funding through.
Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards
Fuchsia

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: Grants
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 22:48:56 »
We've just got a grant for a Kazuba composting toilet from The Big Lottery Fund. Have a look on their website: www.biglotteryfund.org.uk

We took about a year to develop our application, first researching exactly what we wanted funding for and from whom, then working on the application form. And now we're working on the publicity surrounding the opening, which is part of the deal. It's not for the faint-hearted, but it's given our site a tremendous boost.

PM me if you want more info, but don't be offended if I don't reply immediately, as we're inundated with community & outreach work, which is partly a knock-on effect of the Lottery funding.

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 00:17:28 »
How much do these loos cost? Just had a look on their website but couldnt find any prices ???

fuchsia

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 21:45:30 »
I looked at the kazuba loos and I think they were around the £8,000 mark :o if they supply and fit the whole thing, It was a while ago when I enquired.
Best to enquire though with your requirements to be sure.

javahart

• Quarter Acre
    • My veg blog
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 20:13:03 »
We have a similar number of plot holders and the council (Trafford) recently installed a loo & septic tank.  The overall cost was circa £5k but we only had to chip in about £600 which was covered by the annual surplus.

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 10:20:15 »
We got a grant towards our 'Natsol' composting toilet through one of our local councillors 'locality grants'.  I don't know if councillors in all areas get these but in our area 'County Councillors' have a sum of money which they can use for capital projects which benefit the community - in our case we have several primary age school children visit, plus children from a school for those with special and additional needs, so we had a good case for getting a grant
The cost of our compost toilet was about £7,500 including VAT but in addition you'll need to arrange to do the work yourselves (eg site preparation and putting up) or employ/part employ someone as some skills are needed, and you will need to purchase things like cement.   If you contact the Natsol people they have very informative information sheets they will send you.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 07:54:19 »
Our Kazuba was just a little under £10,000 all in, including installation.

We're hoping to get it installed in the next few weeks, ready for the Grand Opening on the day of The Big Lunch on July 18th (which is a few days short of our Centenary).

I think most Councillors get some form of community grant - ours certainly do - but I reckon you were lucky to get that much from them. Our Councillors prefer to give lots of smaller grants, rather than one or two large ones. (But the moral is: get to know your Councillors and make them work for you!)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal