Author Topic: Help please: Grape vine leaves turning dry and brown  (Read 22305 times)

OberonUK

• Quarter Acre
Help please: Grape vine leaves turning dry and brown
« on: May 26, 2010, 11:27:40 »
It is my first year with a greenhouse and first attempt at growing grape vines. I have one in a large put (20" diameter and 24" deep) and the other planted outside the greenhouse but trained inside. I thought that using two different options would give me more chance of success!

Both plants are growing fine - have put on about 18" of new growth. But both of them now have a few leaves which are starting to dry and turn brown. I can see no sign of any insect attack. I ensure I only water the roots, never the foliage ad give them a feed of Miracle Grow once a week. One is at the front of the greenhouse with full ventilation, the other is at the rear with less (again, covering bases!).

Can anyone please tell me what I need to do differently?

(Tried to attach an image but no luck -  Have a look at http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/OberonUK/WebPics#547552174857331089)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 11:30:18 by OberonUK »

Stevens706

• Acre
Re: Help please: Grape vine leaves turning dry and brown
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 12:09:07 »
Hi Oberon this might not help, but if these were cucumbers I would say they were scorched, you could try and paint some shading on the glass to see if that helps

OberonUK

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 12:28:11 »
Hi Oberon this might not help, but if these were cucumbers I would say they were scorched, you could try and paint some shading on the glass to see if that helps

I have internal shading on the south-facing wall and roof already. The greenhouse runs East West (the door faces West). The vine in the pot is at the back, against the East end which backs onto a fence, so is therefore well protected from the most intense direct sun. The other vine does get full sun so you may be right there. I'm a bit stuck with painting the part where that vine lives as it would then mean the only unshaded glass would be facing North (or East against a fence).  I don't want the whole house in shade. (Currently have internal mesh which I raise or lower depending on the conditions.

Any ideas of other ways to shade the vines - one at least can't be moved and would be hard to shade with planting.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 12:39:52 »
First of all...I would give a good watering with just plain water...really flush the pots so that they are soaking wet..I suspect that you have given a bit too much tender loving care..
Leave the Miracle Grow for now..as they are newly planted they should not need constant feeding...the new leaves that form with so much feed are too lush to cope with extreme weather...
That scorch could be fertilizer scorch and flushing with water will 'wash' it off. As your grapes are only youngsters and they are on growing stage..you are growing the frame work...keep them on just basic stuff..bread and butter..something like handfull of fish blood and bone once a month should do for now..and when they are getting much bigger then slowly increase feeding..but too much feed just encourage too much foliage. They do not need to be lush to produce fruit.... ;)..gently does it.. Oh another thin..miracle grow is better for flowering things..something 'woody' like grapes, slow working fertilizers are better..

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 12:45:53 »
Oh don't worry about shading..they loving the sun...
Mine is in polytunnel, unshaded and gets baked during summer and it never gets scorched by sun. But then again mine are grown hard way..they are more likely to get neglected than looked after..they just get chop twice a year. Mine is in ground though..
I have one in large pot in GH and that is grown with little more care..mainly just watering a bit of nutrients.. ::)
And other outdoors which is new one..that is just experiment to see if it will do anything without protection...

Isleworth

• Half Acre
    • http://plot31a.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 13:21:37 »
Link took ages to open, so this will save everyone having to open the link.. think you just forgot to cut the whole address ;)

Have they been watered during the hot days? Wondered if the leaves have been sun scorched?  ???

OberonUK

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 13:28:58 »
I so never managed to work out how to attach photos! I don't have that option :( Just link to an online pic. Do I need the photo in a gallery on here?

Have given both vines a good drenching, so will see if that helps. But I like the 'don't fuss' message and will stop being nice to them! I don't think it could be scorching as my simple head said their native conditions tend to be hot and sunny and I am always careful to keep water off the leaves during the heat of the day. But will be double careful now.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 23:31:46 »
I know your vine is under cover, but mine had a severe frosting the other week and all the leaves looked like that or worse, so maybe its a touch of frost? The leaves on mine all died and new leaves have already appeared.

OberonUK

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 10:56:25 »
I know your vine is under cover, but mine had a severe frosting the other week and all the leaves looked like that or worse, so maybe its a touch of frost? The leaves on mine all died and new leaves have already appeared.

The greenhouse hasn't fallen below 6C for a while now and never below 4.5C even when we had it really cold. The plant that has its root stock outside the greenhouse is well mulched and covered in gravel where the roots are positioned.

The one on the pot gets fleeced if I think the night will be chilly.

Both seem to be healthy enough and making new growth so I guess the problem has rectified itself. But I'mm keeping a close watch!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal