Author Topic: How are your beans doing ?  (Read 13207 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: How are your beans doing ?
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2010, 18:51:52 »
Are you finding the Grando Violetto are badly affected by aphids? I tried them one year, and they were eaten alive.

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2010, 19:05:11 »
Not seen any aphids on anything so far - fingers crossed. Grando Violetta were completely clean but perhaps I'm just lucky this year. Got storm flies on my sweet peas and courgettes - or thats what I think they are, small black things -  but thats all so far.

Squashman

• Half Acre
« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2010, 19:37:08 »
Picking St. George Runner Beans, also picking french beans. I set 250 aqudaulce broad bean in November, good crop and all gone, now on the second sowing of 250 with the third and final 250 in flower and pods forming.

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2010, 19:59:50 »
Please tell me Cupidon growers how that compares to Aquilon, which I found prolific and early but a bit tough skinned for my liking.

Still searching for a perfect first early dwarf - may find it in this year's batch....waiting to sample them

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2010, 20:04:45 »
Not grown Aquilon - but certainly haven't found Cupidon tough skinned.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #105 on: July 07, 2010, 20:25:45 »
Beans are doing well this year, no black fly on the broadies, what a bonus  ;D Still have the last of the Crimsons and Red Epicure x Crimson

Early runners in the polytunnel have been fab, still waiting for the outside ones to take over from them, beans are setting but a bit slow.

Dwarf frenchies are really starting to happen now and had some scrummy Purple Tepee and Cupidon tonight.

Climbing beans are looking good and some will not be very long till picking some for fresh.

Yummmmmmmmmmmm  ;D
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #106 on: July 08, 2010, 09:25:22 »
Can I sing the praises of Speedie (a dwarf french) on here?....  mine have almost finished (letting the plants carry on to get some seed for next year now). Started the off in pots back in march, had them in bigger pots for a while, in the GH, planted out early June (by which time they had already had a crop off and were flowering again)..... They live up to the name, and for what are tiny loittle plants (about half the size of other DFB's I've grown) they are pretty productive.... but they get you beans fast.... I grew them expecting them to get me a few green beans before the Cobra's took over.... but they've pretty much bean and gone (ha ha).... At home the Cobras were clibming and flowering but no beans as of two days ago, the Sutton broadies are now finished, the crimson flowered were setting beans and I might well have som eto eat by the weekend. THe Gigandas have hit the top of the pole and are flowering.... I've fighting a battle with the ants who want to farm aphids on them all though..... on the plot the various climbing beans (Box, O'Driscoll, Blue Lake, Borlotti, Bridgewater, Minnesota Purple Mennonite Stripe, Cherokee Trail of Tears, Egyptian Pea Beans and Lima beans are all taking off nicely though the Limas are lagging the others,  of the dwarfs (Yin-Yang, Bird Egg, Soldier, Ernies Big Eye, Black Pencil Wax) all seem happy though the Yin-Yangs looked a bit sad when I got backfrom Glastonbury..... they've been watered a couple of times since and have perked up a lot....

chrisc

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2010, 08:35:55 »
French beans have some tiny pods! Runner beans have one flower.  Broad beans are almost ready to pick.

Baaaaaaaa

• Acre
  • Life's a treat for those who bleat.
« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2010, 16:13:10 »
I think I planted my runners too close together. There are several poles where more than one bean is climbing up.

Will they strangle each other ? Should I remove one of them. ?
Maximus, Procerus, Vegetus

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2010, 19:11:03 »
Personally, I'd leave them, based on my 'you can't have too many beans' theory. ;D

They will find their own way to the top.  Some years OH has planted them a bit close together, but they have all survived, and more importantly, borne beans.

Perhaps next year you might plant a bit further apart, but for this year, what is done is done, and reap the benefits. ;D

valmarg

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #110 on: July 09, 2010, 20:13:17 »
They'll be fine.

Easywriter

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #111 on: July 09, 2010, 20:31:02 »
Hi

This seems to be a 'bean forum', so maybe you good people would know. Some of my beans have silvery leaves? What is it? A variation of pea thrips? Is it harming them?

See my Gallery for some pics.

Thanks
The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal