Author Topic: How are your beans doing ?  (Read 13208 times)

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
Re: How are your beans doing ?
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2010, 09:07:03 »
Looking forward to eating first few broadies this weekend with my Great Spud Challenge spuds - yum yum! Overwintered broadies producing pods rapidly now, crimson flowered heritage broadies in full flower, but purple flowered still putting on height but no flowers yet but thats good for succession.
All my other beans are much later than usual, held off because of the weather. But runners are just about to run, and dwarfies putting out growth. Climbing french just sitting there at present hope this lovely weather will give them a spurt. Just love beans.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2010, 11:23:37 »
The beans are OK, though none are planted out yet. The only one that didn't do anything was Lazy Wife; the beans rotted in the pots. I've had major problems with squashes. One germinates fine, another in the same tray won't germinate at all, another struggles up here and there with a lot of dud seed and a fair few weak seedlings that just give up and die. I don't know what the problem is.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2010, 13:41:47 »
My gigandes are over 2 foot tall and had to go out in late April because I started them too soon and had to go away for 2 weeks. Wrapped them up in fleece, and they are romping away. Other beans that I protected with plastic simply died.

And I ate my first raw broad bean yesterday! Many of my overwintered broad beans died, but the ones that didn't are very lively and advanced, and I've filled in the gaps.

I am wondering if it is too late to start some more broad beans off?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2010, 19:09:39 »
It's worth a try, though they may not be very happy if we do get a hot summer.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2010, 19:17:53 »
didn't work for me - small amount of tough beans, and lots of rust and chocolate spot

anemone

• Half Acre
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2010, 23:17:44 »
All my climbing beans have popped up ! Although no sign of runner beans yet. The crimson broad beans are looking very pretty in flower :) I have the same squash problem Robert, so I was quite pleased today to see each cane had a bean - yippee!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2010, 05:24:07 »
Mine went out today , Safari,Fortex and Scarlets but gutted as the only three true Gigandes seeds I had  didn't germinate,,they were very old though, bu the last three..blast it.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2010, 11:13:14 »
Ruth Bible, Madeira Marroon, Birds Egg Horticultural, Oro, Kew Blue, Pea Bean and a couple of others who's name escapes me, now in ground and about 18 inches tall.

wicksyla

• Not So New ...
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2010, 14:58:23 »
I also got caught out by that last frost a couple of weeks ago i had put my runners and french beans out only 3 days before and all but 2 got hammered. I decided to throw seeds straight in about a week later and they all coming through now, looking good. at least we will have plenty of beans to eat soon. My courgettes on the other hand have been a total disaster, i have lost count of the amount of seeds ive put in now, they just not growing i got another handful of seeds from a friend who had done really well with them so they have gone in now and my fingers are crossed hard for something to grow. never had issue with courgettes before they usually one of the easiest things to grow for me.

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2010, 15:10:44 »
mines looking poor needs some rain  :o
i don't belive death is the end

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2010, 15:16:18 »
and 1066 i tried for two years to grow soya (ustie the T&M hardy)
Turns out that the seeds are very deliccate and the growing point? gets damaged int he pack leading to low germination rates.
I got the best results from starting them on kitchen roll but still pnly around 20% germinated. Lovely yellowy hairy looking plants though once they get going!

x sunloving

Thanks  :) It's the 1st time I'm growing them. I got them in a swap (thankyou chrisCross) and as I only had a few I gave them the royal treatment and chitted them. So your info is useful if I try them next year. So far they are looking a bit leggy but really looking forward to seeing how they do. I love soya beans, and usually buy a pack of frozen ones from an Oriental shop, so it would be a bit toptastic to eat fresh home grown ones. we'll just have to wait and see.....

meanwhile my pathetic looking broad beans are starting to produce a few pods, but I'm not expecting a bumper crop this year!!

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2010, 19:59:43 »
Broad beans look great- they're now in flower so I pinched out the tops today.  The runners look very sad- I think I might have just been too quick off the mark- the leaves are yellow and sparse- I popped some seeds direct into the ground today in the hope of something better.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2010, 13:59:41 »
All my runner beans scarlet emperor (courtesy of Ninnyscrops) have been eaten to a stump by the snails.  I sowed eight seeds in the hope of getting four plants beyond the two-leaf stage but it seems it wasn't to be.   :'(

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2010, 18:50:48 »
I have about 6 plants 8 inches high the rest sowed later are waiting to pop their heads out of the ground.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2010, 19:23:14 »
I am wondering if it is too late to start some more broad beans off?

I think the answer is yes.  I read an article earlier this year about succession planting, and for broad beans it is too late now.

Shall have to look through the magazine library to let you have the definitive answer.

valmarg

P.S.  The reason I say that is that I had been trying to get OH to sow more broad beans, for a follow on crop, and the article said it was too late.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2010, 19:28:59 »
Could someone refresh my memory and tell me when I am supposed to nip out the tops of my broadies.  Thanks

May

splot

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2010, 19:30:09 »
New to the site - I'm from the midlands and have beens in a large pot.  They are growing well - about as big as my hand.  We are thinking of having setting up a fixed piece of trellis so that beans could grown up it.   The veggie patch is at planning stange really and I've joined this site for inspiration!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2010, 19:42:01 »
Hiya, splot, welcome to a4a, great name, btw  ;D
the blue lake and violette came through the frost ok, barlotti and french climbing got nipped but recovered, now lost 4 to bl**dy slugs, hopefully the new ones will survive, also  :)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2010, 08:20:59 »
hello Splot and welcome to A4A  :) I'm sure you will find loads on here to inspire you  ;)

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2010, 08:45:16 »
Could someone refresh my memory and tell me when I am supposed to nip out the tops of my broadies.  Thanks

May

When there are flowers.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal