Author Topic: Strawberry question  (Read 1248 times)

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
Strawberry question
« on: July 08, 2010, 12:47:10 »
Ok i grow Maxim and Camb fav as my main strawberrys but fancied trying just a few other varietys and have heard about 'Strawberry : Mara des Bois'.
Does anyone grow them on here and if so what are your thoughts on them ???
I dont have many pennys so getting  few to try is a treat and i want to get some that taste good and sweet and have the real strawberry smell on a warm day  :D
Any ideas would be great as i have stuck to the other two for a long time now and have a tiny patch i want to put 6 new one into.

detailista

• Half Acre
Re: Strawberry question
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 13:35:31 »
Ok i grow Maxim and Camb fav as my main strawberrys but fancied trying just a few other varietys and have heard about 'Strawberry : Mara des Bois'.
Does anyone grow them on here and if so what are your thoughts on them ???
I dont have many pennys so getting  few to try is a treat and i want to get some that taste good and sweet and have the real strawberry smell on a warm day  :D
Any ideas would be great as i have stuck to the other two for a long time now and have a tiny patch i want to put 6 new one into.

Hugh Fernley Whittingstall did a programme on strawbs last weekend -  did a big taste test and recommends 'florence' as the tastiest. It's my first year, I'd love to get hold of the tiny strawbs - wild ones I think just can't think of the name! 

tombrew

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 15:43:20 »
Hi, I grow maras de bois and they have a very nice flavour.Also they have a long cropping season.you can either let them flower and crop in june and then they have a later crop in august- september -october or if you want a larger later crop you remove any flowers before the end of may.Last year I picked my last one in november. They are large strawberries that taste a bit like wild ones.I got mine from Ken Muir nurseries (by post).they produce loads of runners so you don`t need many to start with and they grow well in large buckets or pots. I don`t know where you are -if you lived near me between bristol and bath you coud have some plants.I also grow gariguette,marshmello, hapil, cambridge favourite and Tenira.

Tom

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 17:46:27 »
Thanks Tom  :D
I did try Ken Muir but there out of stock  :-\
I like the idea that they crop later and i read somewhere they had a nice flavour.
I did think of Marshmello, not heard of Florence so will look intoo them, as i only need 6 plants it makes sence to see what others find good.

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 18:03:17 »
Just had a read up on 'gariguette' and they sound yummy !!!!!!
Mr Fothergill do them and 'maras de bois' so now im torn between them LOL.
Come on votes between the two please !!!!!!!!

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 09:58:16 »
I have grown Mara Des Bois, although I need to renew them next year. They do have an exceptional flavour. The berries are reasonably small though but very sweet. They crop well. Personally I never remove the strawberry flowers, I let them fruit from May through to the first frosts, fertilizing occasionally and cutting teh dead foliage off at the end of winter and then a good fertilization once the leaves come back.

I know gariguette strawberries well, they are often eaten in France. But I prefer the mara des Bois.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

tombrew

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 15:41:19 »
The choice is difficult but gariguette is an early strawberry and are all gone by the end of june .Maras de bois have a longer season.
antipodes berries might be small but the ones I have grown are quite large.I think gariguette have a more tart and intense flavour but maras de bois have amilder aromatic flavour.
  Tom

Baaaaaaaa

• Acre
  • Life's a treat for those who bleat.
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 16:05:11 »
I got some Honeyore plants  from Aldi  in the spring. Completely tasteless.

I gave most of the crop to the chickens !

I'll be chucking them out this autumn and trying another variety..
Maximus, Procerus, Vegetus

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 20:40:00 »
Now i grow alpine strawbs and love them so im thinking the '.Maras de bois '
Are in the lead so far  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal