Author Topic: dwalf beans  (Read 1026 times)

jokey

• Half Acre
dwalf beans
« on: July 08, 2010, 12:56:58 »
hi  , i was given some dwalf beans off some lovely person on this forum ;D  i can't remember what they were called, can any one tell me how big do the beans grow before i pick them.  have three small plants with a few beans of each, they are pretty tiny though.

cheers jo

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: dwalf beans
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 17:18:07 »
just picked 2 handsful of dwarf beans, ours are about 3 or 4 " and taste amazing  ;D

jokey

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 21:05:39 »
cheers manicscousers

will have a measure this weekend ;D

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 13:12:51 »
Remember it is the plant that is a dwarf, not the beans! they grow standard French style beans which can be picked from 10 cm up. The trick is not to let them get too fat as then the bean inside will grow too much and they can get stringy. Some can be quite long though - I picked a crop yesterday and they are average of 15 cm long.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 13:26:10 »
I grow a old variety called "Canadian" Wonder it is the best dwarf french bean around, I pick them when they are between 4 to 6 inches long.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 13:36:22 »
Dwarf refers to the fact that the plants do not climb.  Some varieties the plants get quite big as do the bean and pods, while others have the small pencil pods.     There is a huge variation in the size.   

Looks like a wait and see time. 

See if you can find the name of the variety and you can then get more information. 

small

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 19:17:38 »
Hope it's OK for me to piggyback on this thread.......I'm growing Blue Lake climbing French beans from the free seed, loads of beans on, what is the best size for eating these please?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal