Author Topic: How are your beans doing ?  (Read 13233 times)

betula

• Hectare
How are your beans doing ?
« on: May 25, 2010, 09:10:49 »
Started mine of in pots and they went leggy so put them in the ground,too early I know but they are doing ok,had to cover them with newspaper on the colder nights which was a bit of a palava  :)

Have also direct sown and these are just peeping through now,never fails to thrill me  ;D

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: How are your beans doing ?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 09:18:06 »
I resisted, and started mine off later and have just put them in the ground. Looking good, too. Even sown direct, they soon catch up.  :) :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

Stevens706

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 09:19:57 »
Still in pots waiting to go in

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 09:20:58 »

Just popping up and thrilled to bits LOL

Have some pot grown ones waiting to go in now too,determined to have some beans this year  :)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 09:42:33 »
Mine are doing great! Haven't finished sowing yet, so far there is a short row of shelly beans, some yellow wax and two rows of Fin de Bagnol (dwarf green).  they are all about 5 to 10 cm high.
Now have to put in this week the climbing Cobra beans.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 14:54:07 »
I love watching beans when they germinate the way they come out of the ground and unfurl their leaves - always makes me smile   :)

I have nearly planted all mine out now (over a period of 10 days) loads of dwarf beans, climbers, just a few soya beans and the gigandes to go in. Went up to the plot today and the dwarf beans need more water but the climbers seem ok so far

Fingers crossed for a beanlicious summer  :D

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 17:47:47 »
The Gigandas went into the ground at home yesterday evening..... the rest are moving up from 15-drop modules to bigger plots tonight/tomorrow.... I've got about 20 varieties and maybe 500 bean plants, mostly for shelling.... disaster on the soybeans though as hardly any germinated... suspect not warm enough for them...

chrisc

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 18:41:39 »
I have two wigwams on the go both sowed direct Apr 25th and are a couple of inches up.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 18:49:04 »
blue lake and tiger are climbing up the poles, about 18" so far, borlotto and cosse violette are just starting to climb , the seeds i put in in case are just breaking through :)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 20:31:43 »
I made the mistake of planting out French beans (blue lake and a cosse violette) about two weeks ago. Only two have survived!  :'(

I think it's been warm enough, but the wind here near the coast has been very strong and I think that's what did for them. I'm used to sheltered conditions in London.

But I've learnt my lesson! I've been building windbrakes (breaks?) out of plastic sheeting and sticks around young plants and it seems to have helped.

And some new bean seedlings are popping up all over on my window-sill  :)

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 21:13:13 »
I sow all mine direct, started about ten days ago and so far so good!  8)
[attachment=1]     [attachment=2]
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 14:53:52 »
Just planted the last batches out - Gigandes (and so far they are living up to their name!), Soya and Dwarf Borlotto. That will be it for a while, until I can figure out some room for a late batch  ;)

javahart

• Quarter Acre
    • My veg blog
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 10:09:20 »
I started some of my dwarf French beans in modules & some in guttering and then planted out last week.   All looking good so far.

Not so successful with the climbing french beans, which I planted out just before the last frost  >:(

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 10:39:36 »
Most of the beans are germinated but still waiting to get out..I have planted out some dwafs around sweetcorn..but I've been waiting the rain to come soften the ground..so...tomorrow if weather is ok they are all going out...
Oh..and I have to re-sow some too..I was a bit too keen with watering can during hot weather and managed to rot three lots in modules....  ::) oh well...still plenty of time for it and spare ones left... ;D

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 12:04:21 »
Worst year I can remember for beans.  I started all mine in pots indoors and they haven't germinated and generally rotted.  Perhaps I should have a bit more patience and stop standing in front of them shouting "GROW d.m you GROW!!  Perhaps that upsets them and makes them sulk.

shonam

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 12:25:51 »
Worst year I can remember for beans.  I started all mine in pots indoors and they haven't germinated and generally rotted.  Perhaps I should have a bit more patience and stop standing in front of them shouting "GROW d.m you GROW!!  Perhaps that upsets them and makes them sulk.

I've had the same problem. This is my first year and I assumed I've done something wrong but not sure what. Reassuring to see others have the same problem. French beans have all germinated ok though - dwarf and climbing - its just the runners and broad beans that haven't worked out. I think I'm going to resow straight into the beds now and hope for the best as my toms and aubergines are going to need the space in the greenhouse (have just got a plastic walk-in one so not loads of space).

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 13:23:49 »
These are my cosse violette french beans planted out last weekend

and these are my blue lake french beans planted the same time.

All my runner beans were killed by the frost 2 weeks ago but I sowed some direct and they are now sprouting through.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 13:25:33 by mpdjulie »

amphibian

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 14:00:24 »
Mine are doing okay, they're just putting out their first long shoots after the early leafy stage. I've suffered some losses to an unidentified pest, which just cuts them near the base and leaves the decapitated plant lying on the ground. They look cut with a knife, very cleanly.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 17:17:38 »
My first patch of runner were sown into a cloche and are now more than half way up 8 ft canes.  They were still in a cloche a few days ago and took a bit of time to untangle  Last year I manage to kill them by letting them get too hot but this year they are looking very bonny   Got some sown direct coming up in bottle cloches on the allotment, it is very windy there so I will not let them out yet.  I need to take over some canes but they are disappearing so I will have to put my name of each one - such a bind.  I have more in pots waiting to go out.

Just sown some more beans direct to celebrate the meagre drop of rain we have just had.  Gave them a can full of water as well.

compo49

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 21:03:32 »
Hello. I too have had problems getting them to germinate in pots and they all rotted .

I have now germinated my cobra-blue lake and dwarf beans on plain kitchen paper in sandwich bags on the kitchen window sill in just over a week and potted them on.

They are now about six inches tall and i am going to put them in at the allotment this week.

I know this is off the subject but i have done the same thing with brassicas-courgettes-cucumbers & peppers all with amazing results in a very short time with a 100% germination rate.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal