Author Topic: Sweetcorn & Strawberries  (Read 1496 times)

greenhousegirl

• Quarter Acre
  • West Yorkshire
Sweetcorn & Strawberries
« on: May 09, 2010, 20:02:17 »
I have a bit of a dilemma, I have nowhere to put my sweetcorn, my  OH was going to build me a new raised bed for it, but now is not able to for some time. 

I have allocated all the space in raised beds, borders and tubs for other things and was wondering ,  is there is any reason why I could not plat the sweetcorn in the spaces between the strawberries.  I have a large bed with 25 strawberry plants in with good spaces between them.  Would this be OK do you think ?
Live life to the full, this is not a rehearsal

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Sweetcorn & Strawberries
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 20:12:17 »
The corn would over shadow your strawberries for light. Plus both strawberries and corn have shallow roots so they would be competing for nutrients. I would definately suggest no to your question. Sorry.

Can you not put it straight into the ground and do the raised bed next year

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

greenhousegirl

• Quarter Acre
  • West Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 21:36:53 »
The problem with my garden is it is on a very steep slope so it isn't just a raised bed, it is a case of making the next level flat we have done 3 so far, just another 3 to go.

I think I am going to give the sweetcorn seedlings to my neighbour when they are ready to go out as he has plenty of room and gives me things all the time.

He will then probably give me some corn when it is ready good swap I think.

Then I shall grow my own next year.

Thank you for your advice.  I knew you would have the answer  for me Jeannine.   :)

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 22:47:56 »
Just a thought, why don't you try something I am going to try this year.
I am going to grow the corn in between my flowers and shrubs to see how they do.
As you are strapped for space in the veg area, like me then you move to the next thing and that is to make room in the flower patch.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 22:58:08 »
THe flowerbed idea might well be a very good one, the plants are architecturally striking so would provide a good backdrop for the inedible stuff growing alongside them and (rather importantly for next year when you tear out the flowers to grow something edible) can be considered "neutral" in terms of family as they have no persistant soil pests in this country.... they're hungry sods though so you'll need to put something in under them as you plant to feed them....

chrisc

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 23:25:11 »
Plenty of horse muck round here to feed they with before they go in.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 07:17:47 »
Good idea but watch it for spacings for pollination.

Sounds like a lovely garden, very attractive like that but lots of work.Pictures would be nice.

It is possible to do corn in pots.. I have done it.  I used half barrel sized pots and planted three to a pot I  put the pots close together so they pollinated well, fed them a fair  bit during the season and watered well, it is not a regular thing I do but I was stuck  in 2008 when off my feet  and couldn't get to the lottie so  John made me  a veggie spot in my very small and much paved back garden  at home. I  grew everything in pots or small raised  beds.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 08:36:54 »
I can visualise a mix of sweetcorn and purple millet plants dotted through the back of a flower border... quite an interesting idea...  :)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 15:40:43 »
I did grow sweetcorn with strawberries one year in a raised bed when I also ran out of room...my experience was the corn did brilliantly and I got good crops, but some of the strawberries died, I think from lack of water more than anything, but they were due to be culled after that year anyway so I wasn't bothered. I've also grown sweetcorn in barrels at home before I got the lottie. ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

greenhousegirl

• Quarter Acre
  • West Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 16:31:39 »
Thanks for that,  the strawberries in this particular bed are on their last year, so maybe I might risk it, I have plenty more in pots and in borders and well everywhere really.  I have a bit of a strawberry thing going on this year with over 100 plants of various varieties, trouble is now I don't know which is which, I started 4 years ago with 12 assorted plants  then my grandson got involved and they all got mixed up.  I now take runners off plants that are healthy and have produced nice tasting fruit.

So I have nothing to lose when you look at it like that.  Thanks  ;D

I did grow sweetcorn with strawberries one year in a raised bed when I also ran out of room...my experience was the corn did brilliantly and I got good crops, but some of the strawberries died, I think from lack of water more than anything, but they were due to be culled after that year anyway so I wasn't bothered. I've also grown sweetcorn in barrels at home before I got the lottie. ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 09:43:57 »
  I have a bit of a strawberry thing going on this year with over 100 plants of various varieties, trouble is now I don't know which is which, I started 4 years ago with 12 assorted plants  then my grandson got involved and they all got mixed up. 

S'funny how you start out with just a few of things and before you know it..... ;D ;D ;D

I started off like that with tomatoes! Strawberries I have now limited myself to my all star favourites, Gariguette for flavour, Marshmello for crop and flavour, and newbie French crossbreeds Angelina and Ciflorette, which are supposed to be Gariguette crosses and an improvement on it...jury's still out on that one! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal