Author Topic: Frosts - when will it be ok to plant out?  (Read 2115 times)

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
Frosts - when will it be ok to plant out?
« on: May 11, 2010, 00:10:22 »
Hi everyone, my allotment is in Kent & Ive been delaying planting out lots of veg (cabbages, endive, squash, corn) but they are really getting too big to hold off much longer ???
Was wondering if anyone has any idea when it will be safe to do so?
One of the old timers at my allotments said to day that May only has one frost? Is this an urban myth or is there any truth in it?
Any advice really appreciated

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Frosts - when will it be ok to plant out?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 00:17:33 »
Rural myth... today and tomorrow according to the Met Office...

This year is plain late, t'was obvious in about march too, I haven't even sown squash or corn yet...

Cabbage is hardy, if it's hardened off it can go out.... once my seeds are up for it it only comes in in dire emergency and a 0 degree weather warning isn't an emergency...... endive I don't know.... squash and corn will just have to go up a pot and keep coming in, like I said I think you jumped the gun this year, but YMMV... thyat said I've got approx 800 beans and round peas blocking up my polytunnel ATM, the all need bigger pots (not a chance) the tomatoes need the space badly, everything needs to be in bigger pots and I'm away this weekend.....

chrisc

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 00:30:15 »
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly Chriscross, yep I thought he was probably talking nonsense  ::)
Fingers crossed it will warm up very soon as I dont really want to disturb the sweetcorn too much cos they tend to sulk for me when Ive done that in the past. I stupidly brought in my cabbages that had been hardening off  :-\ Oh well back to the drawing board as they say...

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 08:52:49 »
The squash should wait a bit yet,corn?-not sure as mine are only babies yet.

Cabbages and endive will be fine.

It was chilly here last night so the dahlias had some fleece draped over them and they are looking happy enough this morning.  Unlike next door`s cat who can always find the sunny spots and thought fleece was rather nice to snooze on.

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 10:14:38 »
If you can protect the more tender plants they could go outside under a cloche - but you will need something with better insulation than fleece to keep a frost off - like bubblewrap that could be lifted off in the day.
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

amphibian

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 11:27:56 »
My corn, beans, squash and tomatoes are going out this weekend and prayers will be said to lady luck. I am in Kent too.

The tomatoes will survive a light frost, the corn and squash I'll cover with fleece and hope for the best, beans will be resown if it all goes wrong.

What can you do?

Let's just hope summer comes, with all the atmospheric ash we may have a truly rubbish summer.

AdeTheSpade

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 13:02:06 »
I know you're much further south than me, but I wouldn't want to risk my tender plants outside yet.  Here in the Midlands we don't normally plant tender stuff out til after the 1st week in June.  And some info I've gleaned from another forum, about tomatoes, is that they don't like temperatures lower that 10C as it apparently has a distorting effect on the cells or something - as I understand it, they don't just need to be frost free, but actually kept warm.  Correct me if I'm wrong though please, anyone!

amphibian

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 13:12:18 »
And some info I've gleaned from another forum, about tomatoes, is that they don't like temperatures lower that 10C as it apparently has a distorting effect on the cells or something - as I understand it, they don't just need to be frost free, but actually kept warm.  Correct me if I'm wrong though please, anyone!

I have heard this about tomatoes, in the past, but I think it is a myth. I frequently expose tomatoes to low temperatures yet get a crop every year.

If the plants grow okay, they fruit and set seeds, even if this distorting effect occurs, it can't be said to matter.

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 14:16:24 »
Thanks to everyone for your replies, Ive had a good look at the predicted temperatures at night for the next week for where I live, dont know why Ive never done this before, doh ::) 
Im going to plant out the cabbages & endive at the end of this weekend & try to delay planting the squash & corn for another week.
Just incase I lose a few plants I am going to start sowing a few extras that can hopefully wait until mid June to be planted out.
As I brought in the cabbages/endive last night I will restart their hardening off after tonights predicted Zero degrees, bbrrr!
I think I felt in such a panic about starting work at my lotty so late in the year due to leg operations that I jumped the gun abit with a few types of veg & felt I was doing everything too late when in fact I was being too early :-\
Thank you GodfreyRob for the tip about using bubblewrap, Ive never considered this before & as it seems alot cheaper to buy than fleece I will definitely use this method in the future.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 18:13:57 »
The ash is bubbling out fairly quietly, and despite the disruption it's a fairly minor eruption. I can't see that affecting the summer!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal