Author Topic: Sowing carrot seeds in paper pots?  (Read 4668 times)

AdeTheSpade

• Not So New ...
Sowing carrot seeds in paper pots?
« on: May 09, 2010, 21:31:39 »
Has anyone tried this at all?  I have such a problem trying to grow them by sowing them direct in the soil at the allotment, (they just never seem to appear other than a measly few that manage to show themselves) so I decided to have a go at doing it this way. 

I've just made about 25 paper pots and sown 2 or 3 carrot seeds in each - the idea being that a) I can water them more easily (they're at home), so hopefully more will germinate, and b) then when they've grown on a bit, I can plant them complete, still in their paper pots in the ground, without disturbing them.  I've done it with parsnips and it's worked well - any thoughts anyone?

Also, is anyone interested if I post how I get on?

Thanks for any feedback...

gaz2000

• Half Acre
Re: Sowing carrot seeds in paper pots?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 21:37:32 »
i had issues growing carrots,got a hand full if i was lucky,after a full packet of seeds

now i make a wide drill in well dug sandy soil,fill with compost and lay the seeds down,just top with a thin layer of compost and keep well watered,works a treat.

as for the method you stated then why not,saves the thinning process to a degree,and the carrot fly

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 22:57:01 »
Ade,
This is a method I used last year and to my surprise they came out really well.
Not just the short ones but the longer ones too.
Keep on trying and you will find a method that suites you.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 23:59:23 »
I've done it with toilet roll tubes in a similar fashion ( I find I can just sort of squeeze them into a 24-drop module tray as a sort of poor mans root-trainer... got fair results last year and will try again this (though I've now got a set of rootrainers, the parsnips will be starting in there once the sweetcorn comes out and that will go in soon cos the beans are well hatched now...

chrisc

Glen

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 00:24:32 »
I have sown all my carrots directly into the grown (raised beds) over the last 4 wks. I have sown 4 different types and all have shown and germinated fine with no problems at all?

This is the first time I have tried to grow carrots and I don't seem to be having any problems at all. I have not done any thing spacial with them, just thrown them in and up they have sprouted. Maybe I have just been lucky with mine???

AdeTheSpade

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 08:33:36 »
Thanks for the suggestions folks - I've tried the wide drill, sowing in compost, covering with compost - and that hasn't worked for me :(.  Used packets and packets of seeds and very little success...

In my first year, I did the same as you Glen, and had brilliant results - wondered what all the fuss was about when other people seemed to have problems!

Actually went up to the lottie yesterday evening, and lo and behold - a row of germinated carrots :D :D :D, but I'm not holding my breath - I wouldn't be at all surprised if they all disappear again, eaten by some dastardly critter!!

And I just love carrots, they're my favourite veggie ...

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 08:38:47 »
Slugs and snails can razor off a row of carrot seedlings overnight....  >:(

Digindep

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 09:06:58 »
For the past 3yrs I've used this method....with great results...at the moment I have about 50 in two trays of paperpots...another sowing in a few days time and yet another later on...best of luck.....
PS...also do all my parsnips this way....plant them pot an' all..making sur the paper is well below the soil surface...if the sun drys the paper, you will loose out.. ;)
Born with nothing
 'Aint spent it yet

AdeTheSpade

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 09:42:58 »
Digindeep - that's good to hear and so encouraging - thank you! 

Yes, I already do my parsnips this way as well, with good results.  However, for some reason, the last 2 years, my parsnips have had a bit of an unpleasant taste - I've tried different varieties, and if this year's variety turns out the same, then I think I'll give up with those.  I was wondering if it could be anything to do with stuff leaching out of the newspaper? - I do hope not.  If my carrots have a funny taste, I'll definitely be thinking it's something to do with the paper pots...

melann

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 10:25:16 »
my next door neighbour grows carrots for show there around 2 foot long he grows them in drainpipes cut to the required length then puts them into raised beds when he places his seed in the pipe he covers it with netting and they are out of this world when done

Digindep

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 18:23:54 »
To be honest Ade...never had that problem....usually if buried properly the paper just rots away....
As I am led to believe from a printer freind of mine, 'most' ink used these days tends to be of a vedgetable base...others may correct or say different on that one...but its as I've been led to believe....have a good season.... ;)
Born with nothing
 'Aint spent it yet

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 23:47:36 »
I grow carrots in compost in an old glass fibre bath, covered in debris netting, its practically foolproof.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

marc555

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 17:57:46 »
no luck with carrots sowed directly in the ground so i tried them in the little peat pots and they are coming up brilliantly when they get bigger i will just cut the bottom of the pot off and plant the rest out.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal