Author Topic: Parrafin heater  (Read 1281 times)

admjh1

• Half Acre
Parrafin heater
« on: March 07, 2010, 21:16:31 »
I have lit the parrain heater in the greenhouse,for the first time and am
like a cat on a tin roof .are the OK to leave on all night keep thinking do I need to turn the wick
or will it burn down into the base and catch alight during the night?
It is a greenhouse one but ohhh just terrified my lovely new greenhouse will burn down. I know a lot of you are seasoned growers could you let me know I can go to bed and stop
worrying!!!!!!!!

flitwickone

• Half Acre
Re: Parrafin heater
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 21:42:37 »
i aint sure but if you have   :ofollowed the instructions then you shoud be fine :P

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 22:04:19 »
I used one for years and never had problems.

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 22:20:48 »
just keep the wick trimmed or it will burn dirty and you will wake to a greenhouse covered in soot,trim the wick level so all the burnt wick is nice and level and burns blue with no yellow spikes they are what cause the sooting.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 22:30:51 »
I have never had a blackened soot greenhouse yet and leave the heater on most nights if required.  Usually just enough to take the edge off the chill.  Some are more energy efficient than others.  I had one that used a litre per night but now have one that uses a litre over 3 nights.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 00:59:41 »
You'll be fine, I used one for years without a problem though, as folks point out, wick triimming is important if you don't want soot everwhere....

chrisc

james1

• Half Acre
  • Huyton
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 07:53:46 »
You`ll be OK don't worry, mines never turned off day & night. And i haven't had problems. The business with the wick i just blow it out and rub the burnt end off instead of trimming the wick........ ;D

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 09:38:14 »

It is a greenhouse one but ohhh just terrified my lovely new greenhouse will burn down.

Exactly what is there inside the greenhouse thats flammable? Be sensible, the glass and aluminium isnt going to burn!!!
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 09:43:15 »
You need to have the wick turned down low so no smoke is being omitted, the flame should look an oval shape as apposed to pointed
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

admjh1

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 11:50:17 »
It's a Polycarb Greenhouse ( not a thick one at that)
I have used the heater to keep the chill off over the last two nights and it seemed ok, but I kept checking through the first night but now feel ok with it.thanks guys for your help

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal