Author Topic: Central locking problems any ideas  (Read 7972 times)

halfofmanic

• Half Acre
Central locking problems any ideas
« on: February 17, 2010, 18:53:30 »
Halooo   off out this morning for a quick trip to the chemist  unlocked the doors with the remote key fob     opened the door as usual     only it didn't open    bit of a shock  all the other doors & the boot opened fine 

I tried locking and unlocking the car several times with the fob again    no go    tried the key next   no go            now a long time ago i used to watch  a program a few of you may remember  "The Dukes of Hazard" spelling ?     Now they used to jump through the car window.... I discounted this idea as soon as it came to me   

So into the passenger seat  and after a lot of grunting   pulling on my legs  to clear the dash board    and getting abused by the hand brake   I arrived at my seat

tried the door from inside no go    so  off to the chemist    Now to cut the story down a little    out of car....in car....out of car   at home   more handbrake abuse

Hate that handbrake     I can now fold my legs up in a foetal  position   

So end of the fun and back to the prob      rang dealership since  the car is two weeks old     they said may be quicker to get the R A C   out    they may fix it rather than wait for the car to be booked in      so I said to the other half of manic  i would give it one more go

Yes      the Bu**er  opened     every time     NOW    when I  got in the car  the first time it was only showing - 2   and all the doors and boot opened     our previous  car with C.L      opened at minus 7   although saying that  i nearly pulled the rubber off the door    by pulling it too hard   

If you have had the stamina    and   patience  to get to the end of this pot  have u any ideas

I apologise for not having photos    of the event    but the better half    was a bit busy   laughing   and couldn't get to the camera in time      :o ::) :o last face how i looked when attacked by the handbrake     

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Central locking problems any ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 19:58:53 »
Can only think it was frozen? Sometimes I get one door freezing and the others OK. Don't know if it's the way the car is facing or the phases of the moon.... ???

I can empathise with the pain though. Parked at Tesco. Came back to find a mega van parked about 3 inches away from my driver's door so climbed through ... slowly and painfully... from the passenger seat!

halfofmanic

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 20:30:22 »
Can only think it was frozen? Sometimes I get one door freezing and the others OK. Don't know if it's the way the car is facing or the phases of the moon.... ???

I can empathise with the pain though. Parked at Tesco. Came back to find a mega van parked about 3 inches away from my driver's door so climbed through ... slowly and painfully... from the passenger seat!

I think you have to experience it to appreciate it   Bum on seat legs up on the roof    more fun when we were courting  ;D ;D :o 

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 20:52:29 »
I think we were probably a bit  more  flexible then!

james1

• Half Acre
  • Huyton
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 05:56:22 »
Am sorry i no i shouldnt but i havent laughed like this in ages.
dont you just luv it... ;D ;D ;D

halfofmanic

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 08:36:54 »
Am sorry i no i shouldnt but i havent laughed like this in ages.
dont you just luv it... ;D ;D ;D

Hi  James 1      glad you enjoyed it   you must have a sense of humour like mine    it seems funny today now the pain has worn off     i think the neighbours must have enjoyed it        will feel a bit nervous     about the door for a while     :-\

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 08:52:55 »
Have had to get in through the passenger side a few times due to twits parking so close.What a palaver  ;D

Tried to close the drivers window around Christmas while driving down the motorway,it refused to move.Was a frozen block of ice by the time I got home.
Next morning it was fine  Grrrrrrrr :)

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 15:22:40 »
Seem to remember this sort of topic came up last year. There was a resolution but for the life of me can't place it!
Sorry  :-[
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 15:39:54 »
A good squidge of WD40 applied in ALL the key holes BEFORE an icy period is expected,  keeps my C.L. from jamming. I think it stops the ice forming in those tiny fittings

I'm applying it once a week at the moment. Either that or I'm just lucky with the C.L.

halfofmanic

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 15:44:15 »
Have had to get in through the passenger side a few times due to twits parking so close.What a palaver  ;D

Tried to close the drivers window around Christmas while driving down the motorway,it refused to move.Was a frozen block of ice by the time I got home.
Next morning it was fine  Grrrrrrrr :)

Hi betula     maybe we should start a club for things that have stopped working   and then started again           our contribution      little portable  T V   put it on no sound   tried switching it on and off several times with the remote and the off switch    no joy  decided to plug some headphones in   thinking if that worked I could use those  mini speakers     nothing through the headphones   so off we went to the shops     couldn't find an ordinary t v  so bought a portable  L C D    but you need all the flashy  do-dads
@ £140    nice tely   bit of a treat for us       a week later  our grandson  was staying overnight  we told him the tv  in his room  didn't work     no sound      anyway as some of you will know  kids just ignore that    and so he switched it on

you can put the end in yourself

halfofmanic

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 15:51:32 »
A good squidge of WD40 applied in ALL the key holes BEFORE an icy period is expected,  keeps my C.L. from jamming. I think it stops the ice forming in those tiny fittings

I'm applying it once a week at the moment. Either that or I'm just lucky with the C.L.

Hi Pesky Wabbit    sounds like a good idea     I do use W D  a lot for other things  but I didn't expect to have to use it on a two week old car       bit of a down side on our car there is only one key hole      but since that is the door we had the prob with might try it     thanks

halfofmanic

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 16:14:01 »
Seem to remember this sort of topic came up last year. There was a resolution but for the life of me can't place it!
Sorry  :-[

Hi Telboy     if it does come back just  let us know    you never know  it may not happen again          the car we had before this one  the drivers window decided not to come up like betula s     it would go up and down a little way in jerks    eventually it went up all the way       it was weeks before i used the window while out   i kept trying it out at home   it didn't go wrong again

Do you remember the  OLD DAYS  when the only time the window wouldn't go down  was if the winding handle fell off   

now you have lights coming on for things you don't even know you have got   alarms that sound if your seat belts off at 2 mph   another for the hand brake

when an alarm goes off now we have to go through a pre flight check  to see what the prob is

in closing     checked the manual out for a little information on the radio   7pages of information  :o :o  and I still don't know how to switch it off

what was wrong with the old    "Blue Spot"   switch for on and off  one for m & Long   Volume & Tuning  ??? 

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 18:20:21 »
Showing your age now Ray! ;) New tech high tech way to go!

I was taking my poorly dog to the vet today. She's only little - a cocker spaniel. Since she was feeling rotten I let her sit on the passenger seat and, of course, she set of the beeper. So I had to put the seatbelt on. It's a Toyota so maybe it's faulty?
Only joking it's the best car I've ever had. Too good for me really! ;)

halfofmanic

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 19:04:56 »
Showing your age now Ray! ;) New tech high tech way to go!

I was taking my poorly dog to the vet today. She's only little - a cocker spaniel. Since she was feeling rotten I let her sit on the passenger seat and, of course, she set of the beeper. So I had to put the seatbelt on. It's a Toyota so maybe it's faulty?
Only joking it's the best car I've ever had. Too good for me really! ;)

nothing wrong with toyota's   :D  but thats what i'm  talking about  the car we have now  & before  had a high pitched intermittent beep going on   played havoc with my tinnitus so while we were looking for the culprit I switched both my hearing aids off   then noticed the hand brake was on  only by one notch   but there you go

maybe if you could get them all to go off at the same time you could pick a nice tune out   

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 19:32:04 »
I  have reasoned out the answer to all of  your troubles. Don't buy cheap cars! What you pay is what you get. Rubbish.

I would not bother with a small engined tinny honkoneese/tiawan/korean etc. pedal car

I fancy one of those Jaguar diesel estates I could pile all my tools in the back, tow my gippo holiday home and be comfortable and reliable. And a real gas guzzler as well. Don't worry I'll leave my fridge open for 10 minutes a day to counteract global warming.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 20:57:34 »
halfofmanic,
I have PM'd you.
Telboy.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 21:20:50 »
I  have reasoned out the answer to all of  your troubles. Don't buy cheap cars! What you pay is what you get. Rubbish.

I started a post about our Volvo locking me in and locking hubby out! Not a cheap car Ace LOL, but nothing to do with the cold weather either!

Problem still not sorted despite a new key fob, new door lock and workings inside! Volvo now want us to take is back for "further investigation" (@ prob premium rates).  I still open the passenger door if I am just sitting in it when hubby pops into the shop, and if I'm driving the beast, the heater full on with the driver's window full down! Someone kindly mentioned about an inherent problem with Volvo door locks with a link to a website, but when we mentioned it to Volvo the response was "we know nothing"!

Ninny

halfofmanic

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 21:44:16 »

I started a post about our Volvo locking me in and locking hubby out! Not a cheap car Ace LOL, but nothing to do with the cold weather either!

Problem still not sorted despite a new key fob, new door lock and workings inside! Volvo now want us to take is back for "further investigation" (@ prob premium rates).  I still open the passenger door if I am just sitting in it when hubby pops into the shop, and if I'm driving the beast, the heater full on with the driver's window full down! Someone kindly mentioned about an inherent problem with Volvo door locks with a link to a website, but when we mentioned it to Volvo the response was "we know nothing"!

Ninny
Really helpful of them

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 21:47:25 »
Got us over a "barrel" excuse the pun  >:(

Ninny

halfofmanic

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 21:56:51 »

I would not bother with a small engined tinny honkoneese/tiawan/korean etc. pedal car

I fancy one of those Jaguar diesel estates I could pile all my tools in the back, tow my gippo holiday home and be comfortable and reliable. And a real gas guzzler as well. Don't worry I'll leave my fridge open for 10 minutes a day to counteract global warming.

Hi ace  thanks for the help   i was surprised  you had time to respond

Just to put things on the record    this car  wasn't a cheepo   it cost us £500 cash on the nail  at our local carboot       lot better deal than ebay

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal