Author Topic: Paper pots  (Read 5138 times)

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
Re: Paper pots
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 10:03:06 »
Thanks Flighty! I think my kids at church would love to make these- I'm thinking Mother's Day using coloured paper and filled with sweets!  I'll use them for seeds as well, naturally!

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 10:03:52 »
The origami type look very complicated, unless you have a lot of time on your hands, the version of wrapping around a tubuar object with a hollow end where you can just tuck the newspaper in and slide it off, is by far the quickest. I have used them successfully, you can plant the seedlings with very little fuss as the roots can grow through the paper. I just usually tear it a bit before planting just to give it a helping hand.
I have never thought of the problem with print. You could have a point there. I put newspapers on my compost heap though and they are tabloid so may have a lot of coloured print. I thought it would be okay.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 10:15:34 »
Gwynneth...

Remember to get the kids to wash their hands after making them or you will have little black finger prints on everything!!!! ;D
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 10:21:46 »
Erm..I know this sounds silly, but, if your using the toilet roll cardboard tubes, how do you stop the compost falling out the bottom when you want to plant em out? Im thinking of starting my carrots off this way.
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 10:35:24 »
Mortality ..I had this problem last year and found a remedy well three ways actually.

1. If you dampen the compost slightly it forms a plug at the bottom of the toilet tube. Once you have filled the tub press the tube onto a flat surface to compact it.

OR

2. Dampen the bottom of the tube and pinch it together. It will form a little pointy cross at the bottom of the tube and will keep dry compost in place.

OR ~

3. Place some seleotape across the bottom of  each tube before filling. I removed the selotape before planting.

All three work ~ just depends what mood I am in as to what one I sometimes use.

Duke :)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2010, 16:03:56 »
I don't know where it came from but last year I learnt somewhere to put a used tea bag in the bottom of the loo roll tube as this plugs the gap and holds moisture.  I did this and have had some good parsnips so it seemed to work. :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal