Author Topic: Paper pots  (Read 5137 times)

Digindep

• Half Acre
Paper pots
« on: January 16, 2010, 17:02:56 »
Paper pots( newspaper..that is) toilet roll tubes, as with the tubes from wrappimg paper and kitchen roll ect...

Does anyone else use them...?

Last year used them to start off mainly parsnips, had very little loss..
as and when they were of a decent plantable size, in they went tube and all
No root disturbance, still harvesting the best crop I've ever had... :)

Also did carrots the same way...again a better than usual yeild..

Tried a few various brassicas, again dibbled a good hole, spoonful of lime
and in they went. Easy to tread in as well...

One of the other up-points I realised by doing this, I could hold the young
plants back in the GH until an area was ready for planting..this gave 7-10 days between planting...and therefore didn't get gluts of say collies all in one go.

Especially good with the parsnips, hold them back, they carried on developing
in their paper pots, Time of planting just pinched out the bottom of the pot.
No root disturbance...

So as I said anyone else tried them? or any other tips to pass on ?  :)
Born with nothing
 'Aint spent it yet

tartonterro

• Acre
Re: Paper pots
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 17:14:52 »
hi there,
yes use them every year for peas, sweet peas, beans etc, never tried them for carrots - i grow these in raised tyres and usually just sprinkel them over the surface, in fact still got some in the ground just now.

i use fibre pots for sweetcorn etc, anything that doesnt like roots being disturbed goes into either toilet roll tubes or fibre pots.

herbigerbi

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 17:29:03 »
hi how do u make the paper pots with news paper ?

tartonterro

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 17:36:21 »

FennelandFern

• Half Acre
    • Fennel & Fern
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 17:49:10 »
Hullo digindep,
I use newspaper pots, and find them really helpful. I also use toilet roll tubes for the same purpose as it means I don't have to prick out the seedlings, don't risk damaging their roots or stems, and don't have to buy plastic pots!

One tip I would give when growing parsnips in the pots is that the root shoots out pretty darn quick once the thing has germinated! Within a day or so of the little hook-like shoot coming up from the soil, you'll see a tiny white thread of a root poking out the bottom of the module. I plant them out a day after the seedling has emerged, and cover them with jam jars as cloches. I did this this year, and it meant that I got bigger roots from the germination inside. In fact, the biggest roots by far were the ones that I had started in toilet roll tubes, and they hadn't forked or wibbled at all from the cardboard...

Herbigerbi - I did a little photo guide to making the pots. Here it is: http://fennelandfern.co.uk/2009/04/24/newspaper-pots/
www.fennelandfern.co.uk

Have a look at the Good Growing Guide - free downloadable gardening advice: www.fennelandfern.co.uk/grow

Digindep

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 17:53:26 »
Depending on the size you want, use anything, say from a broom handle, rolling pin. or even a toilet roll tube ...roll the paper around it - tuck in the bottom overhang bit...
and Bob's ya proverbial.... :) ;)
Born with nothing
 'Aint spent it yet

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 18:00:55 »
we used toilet roll /kitchen roll/ wrapping paper rolls last year for sunflowers with great success  ;D

herbigerbi

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 18:27:06 »
thanks 4 quick reply i will defintely try these this year

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 18:33:46 »
Hullo digindep,
I use newspaper pots, and find them really helpful. I also use toilet roll tubes for the same purpose as it means I don't have to prick out the seedlings, don't risk damaging their roots or stems, and don't have to buy plastic pots!

One tip I would give when growing parsnips in the pots is that the root shoots out pretty darn quick once the thing has germinated! Within a day or so of the little hook-like shoot coming up from the soil, you'll see a tiny white thread of a root poking out the bottom of the module. I plant them out a day after the seedling has emerged, and cover them with jam jars as cloches. I did this this year, and it meant that I got bigger roots from the germination inside. In fact, the biggest roots by far were the ones that I had started in toilet roll tubes, and they hadn't forked or wibbled at all from the cardboard...

Herbigerbi - I did a little photo guide to making the pots. Here it is: http://fennelandfern.co.uk/2009/04/24/newspaper-pots/

Thanks for the link !

I was thinking of buying the kit (now I wont need to), hangs head in shame  :P
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 18:47:02 »
Just in case it helps, I roll a double page of newspaper round a longer tube, such as the inside of a used up kitchen paper or aluminium foil roll.  I slide the newspaper tube partly off, one staple on the end, cut it to the length I want, slide the newspaper off further, staple and cut, and so on. Then I staple the loose ends. I find that very fast; and you can cut different lengths according to what you are growing (eg longer for parsnips). It's amazing how many you can make in half an hour.

I don't bother to block one end, any more than I do with toilet rolls. The newspaper pots are jammed into various plastic boxes and the compost does not leak out. By the time you plant it, roots are holding it together.

Another use for toilet rolls: soak old magazines, roll them up and push through a toilet roll, dry out in airing cupboard, use as "logs" in woodburners.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 18:30:08 »
A while back, there were some pictures of origami paper pots (folded newspaper) but the pictures have disappeared :(
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 16:36:34 »
Are these the ones ??

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 20:54:07 »
1st attempt........

If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 22:15:20 »
can you use coloured newspaper?  I think I read somewhere that the ink is not good for plants.  There aren't many totally black and white newspapers around these days!

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 22:19:15 »
can you use coloured newspaper?  I think I read somewhere that the ink is not good for plants.  There aren't many totally black and white newspapers around these days!
I read somewhere that the inks they use are all now plant based, no nasty chemicals, and if you get the tabloids, then you will have extra manure because they are full of it.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 22:21:06 »
Very well said!

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 22:24:01 »

then you will have extra manure because they are full of it.
;D

I have read that most newpapers use soya based inks that are now supposed to be safe...and these days its hard to find newpapers that dont use colour on their pages!!
Please dont ask me as I dont know if its Genetically Modified soy ink :P
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 22:27:43 by Duke Ellington »
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 22:43:05 »
great- I'll get rolling then!

james1

• Half Acre
  • Huyton
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 06:52:40 »
Ive never tried this method myself. I normally use toilet rolls, for runner beans,
peas, broad beans, also sweet peas. I must have ago maybe i should get all my family and friends to save page three. Now wouldn't the green house be colourful.
But would my oh be happy. Noooooooooooo.....i don't think so.  ::)..... ;D ;D ;D

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 09:44:20 »
I came across this blog post this morning which shows how to do them!  :)

http://happyhobbyhabit.blogspot.com/2010/02/folded-newspaper-pot-pictorial.html
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal