Author Topic: Feeding onions, shallots and leeks....do you feed?  (Read 6010 times)

kippers garden

• Hectare
Feeding onions, shallots and leeks....do you feed?
« on: January 14, 2010, 10:46:45 »
I've been reading various conflicting advice re feeding alliums, so i thought i'd ask the the experts on here...

How and when do you feed your onions, leeks and shallots....do you dig in manure/compost in autumn and then use a gen purp feed 2 weeks before sowing?...do you feed again with a liquid feed?

I'm not bothered about 'show veg' as this is treated differently i know, but i would love to know how you all  do your feeding.

Thanks for your replies
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

PAULW

• Acre
Re: Feeding onions, shallots and leeks....do you feed?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 13:22:44 »
My O/W onions follow the potatoes which have had loads of muck put on them as they are greedy feeders, you could add blood fish and bone before planting the onions unless like us you have a pack of foxes on the site, if you have foxes they will dig up the ground after the BFB, my OW onions will get a bit of growmore in the spring when the wake up.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Feeding onions, shallots and leeks....do you feed?
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 18:15:25 »
Over-wintering get some nitrogen (BFB for me) in Spring, and a bit of bonemeal a couple of weeks later....

Normal onions get chicken pellets and BFB when I plant out (I don't really use sets, it's seeds all the way for me) but don't really need manure unless your soil is pretty ropy, some more BFB as a topdress in May.

Leeks as per normal onions, shallots and garlice as per O/W onions...

chrisc

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal