Author Topic: What are your paths made from?  (Read 4222 times)

kippers garden

• Hectare
What are your paths made from?
« on: November 25, 2009, 07:12:49 »
I am currently trying to create 'fixed no dig' beds on my lottie (i can't afford the wood for raised beds).

I am interested what you use as paths.  I can't use slabs as these will be too expensive and carpet isn't allowed at our allotment.  I've thought of sowing grass seed but this seems labour intensive as it's a big plot.

What do you use?...or do you just leave it and have bare soil to walk on...if so how do you stop the weeds?

Any replys will be welcomed, thank you
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

gardentg44

• Hectare
Re: What are your paths made from?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 07:32:53 »
i use flagstones on mine and they dont have to be expensive.

some where £1 each,the rest where free,

keep looking in freecycle.

good luck.
kes   A man with no money in is pocket at christmas is too idle to borrow.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 07:44:35 »
a cheap alternative is wood chippings,contact a local tree surgeon who will no doubt be pleased to find somewhere to dump them for free
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

mrestofus

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 07:57:13 »
have you tried weed fabric.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 08:30:16 »
People use all sorts on our allotments, rubber mats from cars, carpet laid upside down, used compost bags. It is amazing what people want to get rid of, try asking anyone with a skip, and your local Freecycle on line is very worthwhile. You can post a 'wanted' notice to advertise what you are looking for, but I've never been lucky enough to get any paving via that route, slabs are very popular and I've ended up buying fairly cheaply via eBay in the end.

I use woodchips on bare soil which does mean you need to weed and top it up, t having membrane underneath would have been better..... ::). We were getting some deliveries of shreddings from the local Council, but haven't had any lately, and I need to top up badly!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

snipsnip

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 09:21:39 »
I used woodchips and have regretted doing so, I spend more time weeding the paths than weeding the beds, so beware, you've been warned  :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 09:43:12 »
we used old compost bags cut in half covered in wood chip(free from our tip) on our first plot...now got weed control, ash and flags we've got for nothing  ;D

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 10:05:25 »
Between our raised beds we have grass paths and a couple of wood chip on membrane.  All works well, especially since I work on the plot barefoot (not at the moment lol).  We also have paving slab path all around the polytunnel (and partially inside).  The idea is that the strimmer doesn't get too close to the plastic!
The Tuscan Beaneater

keepondiggin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 11:14:24 »
I've just laid some weed membrane down the centre between my raised beds area 1m wide from Wickes with some recycled wood edging to keep the wood/bark chippings in. Looks good , stops you sliding on the current mud so hope it keeps ok -will probably have to top up as and when with chippings. For the main traffic area near the entrance and round my shed door I've put some odd flags, mainly half size and odd broken ones I've managed to salvage from different places. :) Am considering using the weed membrane on its own in half width to go across between the beds so that I can lift and move it if required or may just use flat planks to work between?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 11:27:29 »
a cheap alternative is wood chippings,

Sounds like a good idea.  The local authority go around at this time of year grinding down the trees on the road side so there are  loads of chipping just lying about.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 11:37:27 »
I've tried over the years: chipped wood, gravel on membrane, pavers, grass, and a boardwalk I built from pallets.
Past couple years I've been most pleased with a woven plastic that lets rain through but completely blocks weeds (unless I let dirt accumulate on top enough to support germination.)
It is tough enough for wheelbarrows and supposed to last about 10 years. It doesn't look as nice as pavers/boardwalk but weeding paths gets old quick!
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 13:13:10 »
I'm about halfway done with Freecycled concrete flags.... first 40 feet is 2-foot squares, the next 30-something feet is 18" ones, there are some cross-paths made from 18's too but I think I'll redo them to use half-flags.... I'll get more bed space that way and I'm not fussed about getting a barrow down them....

chrisc

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 14:11:59 »
Woodchip and weeds!  :)
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 15:22:11 »
Concrete slabs when I can get them...  :)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 15:24:28 »
Couch grass and weeds  :o

One day I might get round to doing something about them

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 15:44:05 »
If money is tight why not stick to earth paths.  When they are used all the time it is not difficult to skim the weeds off every 6 months or so with a spade.  They tend to pack down as they are all that is used to get round your beds so the weeds are not too prolific as they are trodden on every so often.

I think if you put down weed membrane or anything like that then you have another problem with that rising up tripping you or slugs and nasties hiding underneath!

Good luck whatever you decide!

O B

knottygal

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 16:27:49 »
Hey Kipper,

Try ringing around your local lnadscapers / paving contracters, they hire skips to get rid of old pavers. Skips cost a lot of money these days so you can usually get old flags and pavers for free. Leave your number with them and you will be surprised at how many come your way!
Try calling in at your local scaffolding company too; I got loads of old scaffolding boards that 'elf n safety decreed they could no longer use - and at a extremely reasonable price. It was like merecat manor on our site when my load arrived, all the heads popping up over various crops! Several admitted they could've kicked themselves for not thinking of it!

Work on the theory - if you don't ask you dont get - you may be pleasantly surprised!

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2009, 05:58:36 »
What a lot of food for thought.  Thanks for all your replies, all very interesting.  I'll be giving it all some thought. 
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2009, 15:26:01 »
If you use weed membrane, you need something to fix it firmly in place, such as metal ground staples. I have it all round the boundaries of one allotment to stop the field creeping back - underneath it I placed plenty of old newspapers to suffocate the weeds.

Ground staples are expensive and not easy to find, so my husband got a roll of heavy gauge wire and made me about 100 - very useful indeed.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2009, 16:01:42 »
I agree with Old Bird, looking around our site, found the packed down earth worked well.  Grass paths are OK but the grass does tend to spread and the paths yet wider and the beds get smaller.  In fact Ken, won a prize for the best allotment locally, not sure how many entered, but his wife entered him and he has the packed down earth paths (and no weeds  ;D ;D).   I put a load of wood chip down on my paths but the grass has come back and mushrooms.  Not a good idea to use carpet which I did at first before the Council told us to remove it all.  In fact one bloke had better carpet on his paths then I have in the front room, said he had a mate that was a carpet fitter, but he had to remove it all, and yes the nasties do get under it and it gets very heavy to remove.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal