Author Topic: Hi - complete newbie here!  (Read 3713 times)

Tatty

• Not So New ...
Hi - complete newbie here!
« on: October 21, 2009, 10:52:59 »
Hi, wanted to just put a 'Hi' message on - I am Gina (Tatty is our dog!), have been on the waiting list for an allotment for 18mths, just going to get the key for our allotment this afternoon. Have had a look and it looks like it has been well looked after - even got a few carrots growing on it!

Am hoping to put in some onions and garlic, then get preparing for spring.

I have 3 children, eldest is all grown up and the other 2 are home educated - guess what their next project is going to be?! lol

We are in Ashford, Kent

looking forward to 'getting to know' you all

daxzen

• Half Acre
  • this is isaac he is my allotment troll
Re: Hi - complete newbie here!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 10:56:34 »
welcome

good luck - you have come to the right place - ther is such goodwill and good ideas here

enjoy yourself and take each day as it comes

best wishes

dax

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 11:11:51 »
Welcome Tatty..

Hope you find this site as useful as I have done over the last season!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 11:21:12 »
Welcome to A4A Tatty! ;D

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 11:26:01 »
welcome Tatty. out of interest what made you home educate your children, I have 2 (4 &3) and am considering it!

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 11:31:29 »
Welcome Tatty.

Seems you have been lucky with your plot if it is in good condition meaning you can get the plot all ready for next year.

Remember you can plant broad beans and peas to overwinter if you wish as well as the onions/garlic.

Also it is a nice idea to put some flowering bulbs in. It makes a nice display when you are down doing all the hard working in spring.

Tatty

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 11:41:49 »
Thanks for replies x

welcome Tatty. out of interest what made you home educate your children, I have 2 (4 &3) and am considering it!

My son had various problems with school - an inability to cope with school life and also a school that had no idea on the best approach with him (limited partly by their lack of understanding but also lack of effort), in the end within a class of 38 and a teacher who was having a nervous breakdown he took to walking out of school. Best thing I have ever done for him - should have not sent him in the first place!
My daughter didn't have any problems at school but I want her to have the experience of home education - freedom to learn and grow at her own pace.
Would have home educated from the beginning if I had known about it then :)

Welcome Tatty.

Seems you have been lucky with your plot if it is in good condition meaning you can get the plot all ready for next year.

Remember you can plant broad beans and peas to overwinter if you wish as well as the onions/garlic.

Also it is a nice idea to put some flowering bulbs in. It makes a nice display when you are down doing all the hard working in spring.

Any advice of which ones to plant?

Also where do people buy from? What are the benifits from buying online as to buying at local garden centre? is it just price or choice or both?

Thanks!
Gina

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 12:05:47 »
Welcome to A4A and to allotments   :)

Aquadulce broad beans are 1 variety that come recommended for over wintering

And as to where to buy seeds from wherever you buy just be warned its VERY addictive  ;D  ;D  ;D

edited to add this recent thread on seed companies http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,55480.msg563624.html#msg563624
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 12:08:25 by 1066 »

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 12:20:19 »
Welcome to A4A Tatty  :)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 12:25:51 »
Welcome from me too.  Lots of us here involve our children/grandchildren in gardening so hopefully you'll pick up some useful tips.  :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 12:29:34 »
Welcome Tatty (& Gina, of course).

You're very lucky to get a plot ready to go - most of us have had to move a mountain of bramble first! Get those onions & garlic in, plus the Aquadulce broad beans.

And don't forget to keep asking questions - the folk on A4A are brilliant at coming up with answers. (Quite often you'll get several answers totally at odds with each other, but that's part of the fun!)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 12:50:14 »
Welcome to A4A, Tatty  :) :) :)

You were very lucky getting a plot in such good condition - and with stuff already growing.  When you've got your broadies and onions/garlic in you can spend the winter planning ... good project for the children  ;) ;) ;)
The Tuscan Beaneater

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 13:00:52 »
There was a thread recently about overwintering peas:

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,55736.0.html

Another vote for aquadulce for the broadies.

Also a good time for planting fruit bushes or raspberry canes.

Before you go out spending lots of money on fruit speak to the other plot holders. I am sure someone will be keen to donate raspberry canes etc.

Re: where to buy seeds etc

It is up to you. You are likely to get more choice in varieties and, to some extent, better prices online.

Ask if your site has a "shop" or does the Thompson and Morgan seed order. The T&M seed order is an offer run by the company where you pay 50% of the catalogue price, you also bypass the individual postage charges by ordering as a group and the allotment society recieves an extra 10% back towards it's funds

Speak to people on the site about suitable varieties for your local growing conditions.

;D ;D

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 13:21:20 »
Hello Tatty and a warm welcome........ ;D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 14:13:10 »
Welcome to A4A.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 14:23:48 »
I would like to join in with everyone else on here and welcome you to the site.You will learn lots of stuff on here to help you get cracking on with your allotment. Just remember expensive seeds are not always the best
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 14:30:11 »
Welcome from me too, Tatty. Have fun ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 14:33:19 »
I meet a lovely lady in the supermarket with her very helpful boys and complimented them on their manners and she said that they were home educated.  They helped me with my shopping and I thought they were delightful. I suppose the only good thing about schools is that they are taught or have to mix with all different types of people which makes it easier for them when they get a job.  Being too nice in these hard times doesn't seem to give you an easy life, but good luck to you and your allotment.

staris

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 15:09:22 »
welcome tatty, there's plenty of help on here if you need it  :)

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 15:56:26 »
Welcome Tatty,I agree with Sparkly you'd be amazed at the amount of stuff that allotment holders share/swap/give away. Give it a couple of seasons and you'll be doing the same.I grow far too many plants every year and give them away , the only exception is anything I sow directly as we've got a bit of clubroot and onion problems on the plot and I certainly don't want to share that with my friends.Good Luck, you and the children will love it :)
sanity is overated

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal