Author Topic: Mushroom compost  (Read 5065 times)

JudithM

• Not So New ...
Mushroom compost
« on: September 17, 2009, 10:56:34 »
Hi, I'm new to the forum. The site looks great, with sound advice from you all.

I would like your opinions on mushroom compost.  It was recommended to me but I know nothing about it. Is it good for everything, just for seeds, potting on, digging in or only certain veg?

I started my allotment in April this year and have been helped along the way by the experienced growers on the site so if any are out there "Thanks".  As a result managed 2nd prize for my turnip in the local allotment show.  Just a small show but getting a prize (tomato seeds) was like winning the lottery to me.

Anyway, any advice regarding the mushroom compost would be appreciated.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Mushroom compost
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 11:01:02 »
Hi Judith, welcome to A4A and congrats on your prize in your first season!

I've not used mushroom compost but I'm sure there will be someone along who has and who can answer your questions.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 11:24:44 »
It`s great as a soil improver-and I did manage a modest crop of peppers in it just used to fill pots.

`Live compost` is hard to find but if you can then a free harvest of mushrooms awaits.
 Sterilised compost is available but you may need to google for local suppliers
If you need/have space,access etc then get it by the truck load -failing that someone(the link escapes me) did offer 60 bags delivered for a reasonable price on E -Bay

daxzen

• Half Acre
  • this is isaac he is my allotment troll
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 13:21:52 »
mushroom compost is great as a soil improver - it is relatively inert - that its the manusre in it has been exhasusted by the musrooms - it cannot be beatena s a mulch

I spread it on the top as a mulch and then wait for the worms to do their magic!

it can be free from the right supplier espescially if you take it away a a moments notice

after a while, my supplier caught on an then started selling it by the load - but it it as still great value and it is pretty much guaranteed as being wholsome for your plot - unlike some sources of manure - se other posts

dax

JudithM

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 15:52:39 »
Thanks.  Have found a supplier 20 miles away. Cost £1 a bag, not sure of price per load as delivery may be high due to distance.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 16:21:28 »
Dax, you raised a new question in my mind on manure!  I've not heard of any instances of aminopyralid contamination from spent mushroom compost, but I'm now wondering whether in fact it is possible.  I think I'll ask the experts at the RHS and see what they say.  I'll post the response.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 16:33:03 »
I consider it to be a good soil improver ( not as good as farm yard manure.........too light)

It makes a good mulch.

Do not use it near lime hating plants ( it has a high lime content)

I wouldn't use it for seedlings/sowing it might be too hot and burn the roots plus the fact it is unlikely to be sterile!

I pay £20 for a trailer load of farm yard manure so at £1 a bag it seems expensive to me, but if it is all you can get then this is better than nothing!

BTW; Welcome to A4A

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 18:18:06 »
A bloke I know swears buy it, he covers his whole plot thickly with the stuff and leaves it over winter, he reckons he has no weeds come up through it and produces fantastic crops year after year, but as already said its expensive, unless you can get a good deal on a trailer load.  ???  :-\       ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 19:03:01 »
Welcome to A4A.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 08:28:00 »
Hi and welcome to A4A JudithM. Its a great place init  ;D
I've been looking at mushroom compost and the cheapest I've found nearest to us is 90p a bag, yet to find out how big the bags are and if they would do a deal on a larger load. I'm also on clay and have been looking for other ways to help break the soil up

JudithM

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 09:14:46 »
From all the advice given I certainly have come to the right place.  I appreciate the trouble taken to read my post and the replies.

We have a competition in the town for the best allotment - who knows, maybe next year, especially with all the experts on hand. Do need something for the caterpillars another year as it seems to be feast time for them on the brussels followed by a rush to climb the shed to pupate. They climb at such speeds we're taking bets.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 09:38:02 »
If you can't get large amounts then target it at the brassicas and don't bother liming the soil as there's a lot of lime in mushroom compost

chrisc

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 14:04:20 »
I love the stuff as my lottie soil is clay, so I used that everywhere when I first cleared the plot to add some bulk and help break the clay up a bit.

Three years on, I use it overwinter under black plastic for next years brassica beds, and as a top dressing around raspberries and fruit trees....and any other beds that look a bit low on bulk. I even used it over potatoes last year, didn't get any scab which is supposed to be a problem if the soil is a bit limey.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 16:24:21 »
Deb where do you get your mushroom compost from please? I've looked in yellow pages & all that are listed no longer do mushrooms.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2009, 10:04:48 »
A local mushroom farm about 10 miles from our site in Ashbourne. They deliver it in bags, price is on quantity. PM me if you want the phone number, I will have to look it up!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 17:29:03 »
You should probably check the pH of your plot before you go wild with the mushroom compost. If it is naturally alkaline it will make the pH even higher.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 18:52:59 »
I've been buying compost which is half mushroom half manure. Was told recently (by someone trying to sell organic manure..) that mushroom compost is "full of chemicals" as they put them on the mushrooms.

Does anyone know if this is true?

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 20:14:37 »
Unless it is an organic mushroom farm they will almost certainly use pesticides, typically Dimilin ( active ingredient = diflubenzuron) at a rate of 4g/l/m2 primarily to control sciarid flies. I don't think I would describe spent mushroom substrate as "full of chemicals" though.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 23:48:56 »
I'll ask the experts at the RHS and see what they say.

What the heck would they know apart from what is in the printed literature from Dow?

Of course there is a strong risk of contamination. Farmers absolutely love the new weedkiller and if they spray the cornfield then the straw will be contaminated. Now I know it is mot permitted on straw and all the farmers know it is not permitted on straw but it works, and it works extremely efficiently therefore they spray.

The poison is used indiscriminately because everyone knows that if you are the unfortunate gardener that gets lumbered with the contaminated manure, all you have to do is notify Dow and they will come and remove it from your site free of charge. No questions asked.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal