Author Topic: Two tomato questions  (Read 3136 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Two tomato questions
« on: July 08, 2009, 16:55:15 »
First, is it ok to use rain water on mature toms? I have a vague memory of reading that tap water is better, but I have a bin collecting water right nexty to my greenhouse.

Second, several of my toms have grown shoots from the bottom of the plant which i have only noticed now that they are nearly the height of the main stem.Should i takethese off (some have flowers)or leave them?

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
Re: Two tomato questions
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 16:59:41 »
Rain water is better...............at least I think so :-\...thats all my toms get anyway.

You can leave the new growth or remove it....up to you.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 17:14:54 »
I cut the long ones out - too much to look after!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 17:15:47 »

Second, several of my toms have grown shoots from the bottom of the plant which i have only noticed now that they are nearly the height of the main stem.Should i takethese off (some have flowers)or leave them?
I've taken some off and planted them, they're doing really well  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 18:05:38 »
Snap  :)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 18:43:55 »
I take off any shoots below the first truss, they just get too congested otherwise! ;D After that I let them go go go........ ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 19:09:37 »
yes and yes-those long shoots do creep in but cut them out

Sally A

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 20:55:03 »
Tap water for seedlings....it helps to protect against damping off.  Once the plants are established, rainwater is best.  Don't forget to feed them about once every 4 or 5 days.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 17:42:45 »
Bringthing this thread back up again because I have blight on my tomatoes in my greenhouse.

I previously stated that I thought rainwater was best but I have been told today that blight spores might fall into the water buttand then be transfered.....anyone got any ideas about this?
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 17:45:16 »
Shouldn't do unless you are watering onto the foliage... even then unlikely...  :-\

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 17:49:45 »
Bringthing this thread back up again because I have blight on my tomatoes in my greenhouse.

I previously stated that I thought rainwater was best but I have been told today that blight spores might fall into the water buttand then be transfered.....anyone got any ideas about this?
Just asked the OH and he's been watering our greenhouse toms with rainwater from the butts outside the greenhouse,he only waters at the roots though occasionally drenches the foliage with fresh water via the hose.Last year in a very overcrowded greenhouse we got blight this year ssh not yet :-X
sanity is overated

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 10:59:36 »
I never water the foliage: theory being it would help blight spores to adhere - probably pure superstition  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal