Author Topic: Can I still pick rhubarb?  (Read 15959 times)

twinkletoes

• Hectare
Can I still pick rhubarb?
« on: August 11, 2009, 07:19:10 »
Says it all really.........it is prolific at the moment and the sticks are quite thick but will it be ok for making chutney?
twinkletoes

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: Can I still pick rhubarb?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 07:29:12 »
I could be wrong but I'm sure I read not to pick after July. Someone will put me right if I am.

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 07:37:50 »
Darn - and it looks soooooooo good!   :-[
twinkletoes

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 07:42:06 »
I think the idea about not picking after July is to allow the remaining leaves to build up strength in the root for next years stems. 

But if there are lots of big leaves and stems I am sure the plant would not miss a few - I would take a few stems off each plant (if you have more than one) especially if its for a crumble ;)
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

aussiedigger

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 07:43:17 »
If the plant is well established (ie more than a year old) it should be fine, as long as you leave about a third of the stalks.  I would suggest a good feed and a mulch to follow.  I've just picked a huge amount myself and frozen it.

Please don't blame me if you take my advice and the plant carks it!!  ;D

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 07:52:05 »
Well things might be looking up then.....I have loads of plants and they are all about 3 years old now. All the stems are very thick (about 1" at least) and the leaves are massive (about 20" across the broadest bit) so I reckon I am going to take a few stalks from each plant - that should be enough for me to get a batch of rhubarb chutney made up (might even be enough for some rhubarb and ginger jam  ;D)   And I won't blame you if the plants rebel aussiedigger.
twinkletoes

aussiedigger

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 09:21:27 »
My advice is go for it!   ;)  It is tough stuff - seems fairly indestructible.  I have lightly picked up until the autumn without seeming to cause any loss of production the following year.  I do feed it well though.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 19:00:09 »
Mine wilted so badly after the flood we had in June that I'm inclined to leave it for the season. It's a pity though.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 21:32:16 »
I've justed picked some tonight, the books do say don't pick after July, but our sec said for me to help myself, I don't know how many plants he has in but there are about 80+ sticks and with the leaves they are about 24 inches long, so they look healthy and plenty of them not to affect the plant,I took about a dozen so we'll have to see what they taste like, I give them to my next door neighbour.      ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 22:09:02 »
I've heard the thing about not picking after July, but I've also heard that you can pick as long as there's no 'R' in the month. There's none in 'August'.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 22:50:17 »
I seem to remember reading that after July the rhubarb stems are too acidic to eat. I suppose the best thing is to try some in a crumble or something so you don't waste chutney ingredients. I certainly would give it a try.
Smile, it confuses people.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 08:15:49 »
I thought it was something to do with the acid content, & effects on kidneys.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 08:40:13 »
Oxalic acid... which makes the leaves poisonous... the concentration builds up later in the season but as far as I'm aware never reches problematic levels in the stalks...  :-\

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 11:17:08 »
Oxalic acid in quantity leads to gout attacks in those who are susceptible to them. The kidneys absorb the oxalic acid and convert it to uric acid crystals in the bloodstream, and the crystals then lodge in the "extremities" - toes and ankles, knees, elbows, hands and even in the ears(what was that?)...

Spinach has a similar effect, as any gout sufferer will tell you.

For those who don't suffer from gout, then there's no real problem.

What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 12:11:04 »
I wondered the same thing myself at the weekend but was prepared to chance it.

I only took a few sticks, mixed them with some fresh black figs and ground ginger, and put it into some filo pastry, sprinkled with melted butter and sugar and baked in oven for around 30 minutes - it was DIVINE!  To be done again - and again - and again ....!  - next time with a dollop of vanilla ice cream.

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2009, 12:15:12 »
mmmmmmmmmm yummy ;D ;D
twinkletoes

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 14:46:12 »
just picked 6 sticks off each plant, going to try the stevia leaves, just got my plant, wow, it's too sweet to chew  ;D

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2009, 19:48:06 »
We have always picked our Rhuarb untill the end of August & has always produced well the following year .  We have also moved house & pulled up replanted & still grows well, it will be coming up again in 3wks when we move again. ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal