Author Topic: Your thoughts on this!  (Read 17321 times)

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
Re: Your thoughts on this!
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2009, 21:42:36 »
I don't get some of these silly allotment rules!!

Today I got a letter saying I have to dig up my strawberry bed because its classed as permanent according to a green party councillor, I did point out that strawberrys only last three years but they won't have it and say they'll be back within 12 months to make sure I've compiled with their ruling and removed them.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2009, 21:48:42 »
I don't get that, what is wrong with a strawberry bed!!!!!

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2009, 22:06:12 »
I don't get that, what is wrong with a strawberry bed!!!!!

No idea what they are thinking and I won't be digging them out, I find it a bit of a joke that our local council won't deal with people that have uncultivated plots but tell the person on site that uses his allotment to the full that they can't have a strawberry bed, maybe my constant moaning about unused plots bugs them a little but while there are people on our site doing bugger all with the allotments they have they'll continue to get an email from me every three months telling them about it!!

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2009, 22:14:23 »
The lunatics are running the asylum
Jackie

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2009, 22:17:15 »
I don't get some of these silly allotment rules!!

Today I got a letter saying I have to dig up my strawberry bed because its classed as permanent according to a green party councillor, I did point out that strawberrys only last three years but they won't have it and say they'll be back within 12 months to make sure I've compiled with their ruling and removed them.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

So no rhubarb, raspberries, redcurrants etc either? That is pure crazy! I would go to the councillor myself and ask them to the meaning explain the ruling.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2009, 22:19:53 »
Perhaps they are just allergic to strawberries and they bring them out in a rash, or perhaps they are just jealous.  Just off to make strawberry jam, this has been a good year for strawberries.  Have you got a raised bed or some permanent structure that they are moaning about, it can't just be strawberries.  I don't believe it!!!  (Victor Mildrew).

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2009, 22:26:02 »

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

So no rhubarb, raspberries, redcurrants etc either? That is pure crazy! I would go to the councillor myself and ask them to the meaning explain the ruling.

We are allowed to grow rhubarb because they don't class that as permanent!! I have spoken to the councillor but only got the norm "I don't make the rules" rubbish, I have photo's from our whole site for the last six years (its only 13 plots) and have writen to our local paper once or twice and might pay a visit to them next week to see if they'll print the story.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2009, 22:52:14 »
Mick, why not mail RHS and ask them if they consider strawbs permanent. Interesting viewpoint they are taking...is there a criteria re what/how they class some things as permanent and not others?
Jackie

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2009, 23:17:05 »
They are talking Bo!!ocks...  :-X

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2009, 02:48:08 »
Why not just plant them in pots and plunge the pots into the soil so that the strawbs root through the bottom? Pots have to be considered  temporary.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2009, 06:46:31 »
What date is it? It's to warm for April ::) ::) ::).

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2009, 09:06:12 »
MickW that is absolutely ludicrous, especially as you can grow rhubarb!
We really do live in a topsy-turvy world.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

digmyplot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2009, 10:28:13 »
This Strawberry situation is so similar to mine.  A member of the Committee stood looking at my plot and said it was not cultivated,  His explanation was that I just throw a few seeds in now and again and it all self seeds.  His credentials : he has been gardening since the age of eleven.  We were standing in front of the strawberry bed, he said " Look at it, it is all just growing".

The year before last it received a commended, and a couple before that, to the Allotment Representative's astonishment, it received a Highly Commmended.  He put it down to the range of crops I was growing.

Anyway thank you all for your supportive comments, and especially flighty for putting on the original posting.

digmyplot

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2009, 12:59:34 »
Digmyplot welcome to A4A, and thanks for the mention.
Having read the Guardian Gardening Blog I  felt that it should be made known to as many people, especially allotmenteers, as possible. I also did a blog entry about it

http://flightplot.wordpress.com/2009/06/18/it-makes-you-think/

I will be doing a further blog entry today which will include MickW's strawberry story!

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2009, 19:09:43 »
With over 30 replies and nearly 1000 views on this subject I'd just like to thank everyone.

BrianK

• Not So New ...
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2009, 19:24:47 »
Hi digmyplot.  I see you have explored other forums too lol.

Oh  update your blog  ;)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2009, 20:24:06 »
What is wrong with these people? Let's hope with all the publicity they will be eating humble pie very soon.
Smile, it confuses people.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2009, 21:04:34 »
Welcome to the site Digmyplot, there are some crazy things going on on our sites, I've just had my run ins with our council saying that I never payed in 2007. But Mick's   STRAWBERRYS,   I've heard some bollx in my life but this one defies logic.  ??? ??? ???        :( :( :(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2009, 15:34:13 »
We actually encourage people to grow flowers on their plots by having a 'Flower Garden' competition every year.
Lots of plotholders enter and many of them who never grew flowers before now do so.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2009, 15:37:22 »
On GQT this afternoon someone asked what were the best things to grow on an allotment to save money, and Bob Flowerdew said "Cut flowers" because they are so expensive in the shops.Makes sense to me!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal