Author Topic: Your thoughts on this!  (Read 17319 times)

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
Your thoughts on this!
« on: June 15, 2009, 08:01:38 »
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: Your thoughts on this!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 08:11:08 »
With us, you can have up to 25% of the plot with "non edible" plants. This is in the contract - along with plenty of what are, in my opinion, more sensible rules. Personally, I'd like to see the rule enforced or changed. And yes, change would be my favourite but you can't just pick & choose the rules you like.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 08:57:19 »
One of our plotholders grows exhibition dahlias on most of his plot, possibly a quarter is given over to veg. It is a beauty to behold and we certainly have no intentions of evicting him... another lady has two plots given over to herbaceous borders and specimen trees in lawn. We are less happy about that but wouldn't dream of evicting her over it...  :-\

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 09:07:11 »
I think that people should be able to grow what they want on an allotment as long as it does not adversely affect other allotment holders.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 09:28:45 »
I grow about 20% flowers on each plot. We are practically surrounded by flats-hence no gardens so although I love the flowers, we use them to attract the bees( wether they go from flower to beans etc is questionable). My opinion is that while there is a waiting list for allotments for people to grow their own food then I think that the 25% rule for non edibles is right. In cases where there are aload of empty plots then ok. Please remember tht this is only my opinion ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 09:38:40 »
If there are rules you have to comply but flowers vs vegetables is a debatable issue. Dahlias are a tricky plant to ban as they can be a reliable, prolific and nutritious food source.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 09:39:19 »
This guy grows vegetables as well. Plus flowers/the plants they're growing on have many uses as well as culinary.
Also anything that can help bee's survive shouldn't be prevented.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 09:59:19 »
There's a huge house adjoining our site, and the owners have two adjoining plots with a gate through their hedge. This double plot has been laid to lawn - it's like a bowling green.  They have fruit trees and a shed at one end, and a bench overlooking the lawn the other end.  It's carefully mown weekly.

They've been told they have to cultivate 1/3 of it, so some carefully-measured beds have been put in, fruit planted through black plastic (minimum upkeep) and the lawn remains.  A teenage son practised golf on it (had to walk down through the other plots to find the ball) one evening, I was too far away to say anything or take a picture.

That's taking the p!$$, I'd say. Most plots on our site have flowers, and there is comfrey everywhere. Companion planting, nothing wrong with that.
The Tuscan Beaneater

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 10:30:22 »
On our site there are a couple of plots that are completeley laid to lawn and are used solely for the next door plot holder to park his car on.  And that is a full 10 rod plot.

Best laid plans and all that

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 10:33:52 »
Now that is taking the p**s for sure ain't it. Just shows that the rules need to be enforced cos there is always someone who tries it on.
                             I want em saying

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 17:54:04 »
Why not full of flowers?  It's not strictly allowed under the allotments acts, but they don't apply to every site, and quite honestly I think the restriction should be relaxed.

So did the select committee report into the future of allotments:   
    * We recommend that the main restrictions on the use of allotments contained in national legislation should be repealed. In particular, decisions over:

o the uses to which plots may be put, particularly with regard to flower growing;
          o commercial use with regard to site shops and the sale of surplus produce; and
          o the keeping of livestock

* should be made on a site-by-site basis by the local authority or allotment society. We urge that care should be taken when relaxing restrictions so that the essential character of a site is maintained. (Paragraph 32)

On the whole I think people should be left alone to do what they want on their allotments while it doesn't interfere with anyone else, and that most certainly includes the right to a decent sized shed to spend the whole weekend in.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 18:15:07 »
I'd go along with you on the shed size and I know that DebP would. Her shed is nice enough to live in.
                             I want em saying

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 18:24:16 »

Cheers Shirl.... ;D

I also think it is the cultivation of the plot that is important, not what is grown. I too favour a mix of veg, fruits and flowers on the plot, and love the fact that people adopt different ways of growing. You have to wonder what their specific objection to flowers are, I wonder if it is just an excuse to have a go at a possibly 'less conventional' gardener? Shame on them! >:(
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 18:56:50 »
Well I guess it depends on whether the plot is cultivated or just a wild area of self-seeded nasturtiums! I don't have a problem with people growing flowers, although I am not sure about 100% flowers. As for turning the whole plot into a lawn that is just totally taking the mick!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 19:24:46 »
You have to wonder what their specific objection to flowers are
On a council site where the Allotment Acts apply the council doesn't have the power to allow the allotment to be used for anything other than mainly fruit and veg.  The council is obliged to enforce the restriction, though I think it increadibly unlikely that anyone would take out a high court injunction against them if they just turned a blind eye.  In practice what happens is mean-spirited busy-bodies get off on telling other people what to do.  The more rules you have the greater the scope for tyrany.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 20:04:11 »
Deb P I agree wholeheartedly with what you say!

Unwashed sadly what you say is all too true!

As a less conventional gardener myself I wonder what I'd do in this situation.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 22:04:48 »
Allotment legislation badly needs updating, but this is absurd!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 08:50:29 »
Allotment legislation badly needs updating, but this is absurd!

Unfortunately although it "badly needs updating" what will happen is that it will be "updated badly"...... [/my 2p]

chrisc

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 10:14:21 »
Robert much as I agree with you chrisc is probably right, and I dread to think just what it'd be like if Health & Safety got involved!

Moonbeam65

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 21:22:55 »
On our allotment site know one is allowed to plant trees except for fruit trees but first have to get permission which is usually given if the trees in question are not going to grow into the fruit trees we had long ago.

As for a lawn we would not allow them to have one at all but have know objection to them having flower beds but all our members have to grow vegetables on at least half of there allotment.

No cars are allowed on to the allotments unless they are unloading or picking up materials from there allotment and we have four spaces where we do allow members to park there car if they are disabled and this has worked very well for us.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal