Produce > Edible Plants

Treating Blight with Milk

(1/2) > >>

boldielocks:
I was told that using 1 part full fat milk to 10 parts of water is a defence against blight. Anyone heard of this before.

ceres:
Not blight.  Heard of it being used for mildew on cucurbitae and I seem to remember reading about a National Trust garden using it for mildew on roses.  If you search on here, you'll find threads about it for mildew.

boldielocks:
I've googled it and only got a few results. Not sure to try this or buy a proven method of defence.

Tee Gee:

--- Quote ---I was told that using 1 part full fat milk to 10 parts of water is a defence against blight.
--- End quote ---

I get the feeling it might do the opposite ! i.e. the blight spores will have a tacky surface to adhere to wheras with untreated dry leaves there is the possibility they might blow off.

Personally I avoid watering potatoes simply because this raises the humidity in the area of the plants, as high humidity and blight go hand in hand, I go the prevention rather than cure route.

I find the farmyard manure I have dug in prior to planting is a big enough reservoir of moisture to develop the tubers.

So much so I have dug up farm yard manure at harvest time that is as hard as a booard because the plants have extracted every bit of moisture available.

But it may be a case of the old adage coming into play; nothing ventured nothing gained

So it might be worth a try! but not for me for the reasons described above!

realfood:
It was suggested last year by someone on this board. I do not know if it works or not. An experiment would be required.
Full fat milk and water used to be used as a "shine" to ornamental fig tree leaves. Could it be that when the milk and water has dried, that it acts as a shiny barrier and helps to prevent the blight spores gaining a hold and just fall to the ground?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version