Author Topic: Cobnut Squash, pumpkin and sweetcorn  (Read 2769 times)

Reetnproper

• Not So New ...
Cobnut Squash, pumpkin and sweetcorn
« on: March 16, 2009, 10:15:45 »
Hi all,

A couple of beginner type questions which I hope someone may be able to help me with, please:

1) I wanted to try growing a Butternut Squash this year, as we all love them, but have ordered a butternut squash type (according to the catalogue) which is the Cobnut Squash. Has anyone had experience of growing this? My main question is wether or not it grows upwards like a runner bean plant or along the ground like Pumpkin?

2) I plan to plant my pumpkins amongst the sweetcorn but seem to remember reading somewhere (can't remember where though), that it is possible to train the pumpkins to grown around the base of the sweetcorn, in an ever increasing circle, rather than let it ramble at will, as is my normal growing method :-\. This would certainly help in terms of space but can someone advise me as to wether or not this is indeed possible?

Many thanks
Reet :)

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
Re: Cobnut Squash, pumpkin and sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 10:42:27 »
I think this is called three sisters planting - beans sweetcorn and squash.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 11:35:46 »
Welcome to the site Reet... that's got to be a northerner...  ;D

All pumpkin/squash trail naturally although breeders are trying to "bush" some. Just kep moving the growing tip to where you want it. If going up it will need help to support fruit of the larger sorts.

;D

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 13:15:25 »
Unless its an exceptionaly warm summer I would not grow the butternut squash types outside - they really need a warm sheltered spot .

I will be growing mine in the greenhouse this year as the last two years they have only started setting fruit in Spetember/October by which time its too late for them to develop into anything useful.
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal