Author Topic: HAS ANYBODY PUT ANY ONIONS IN YET ?  (Read 3264 times)

*pixie*

• Quarter Acre
Re: HAS ANYBODY PUT ANY ONIONS IN YET ?
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 18:24:00 »
This is my first year growing onions and shallots (and veg in general :-X) Ive been wondering when I should put them in, can they stand any frost at all? I live near Aberdeen but we get some really cold snaps here, 3 weeks ago we had 15" of snow overnight!!  :o

kingston boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 19:14:57 »
Yes, i've put some onions in but i rooted them in small pots a month ago before i went on vacation to get some well deserved sun. They have taken off like wild fire due to the mild weather down here. I checked them this pm as we had a reasonable frost last night and they seem fine.

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 19:20:25 »
I put my sets in yesterday: 4 rows of red (thought they were red baron but the label said red something else) and 8 rows of white (sturon). Will no doubt be replanting them next weekend after the pigeons have had a go at pulling them out. They didn't seem to be bothered by the cold last year so I'm hoping they all survive, although I have some fleece standing by in case of emergency. 

It was very exciting as they are the first thing I have put in the ground this year!

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2009, 09:21:54 »
I planted onions and shallots in October with the garlic.....bit of an experiment which considering the wet and cold I thought it would fail but the onions were up at the first sign of better weather. Last week there was still no sign of the shallots so I resigned myself to replanting and bought an extra bag. Yesterday about half the shallots had suddenly appeared and closer inspection revealed others were on their way.

I will be planting the rest of the shallots next week unless we're having another cold snap.

little pud

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2009, 10:57:08 »
I put 45 out last week, thought they would be ok until woke up to frost yesterday.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2009, 11:19:32 »
Ohion sets are hardy a bit of frost won't hurt em . They will shoot as soon as ground warms up a bit..  :)
Cheers .. Jim

*pixie*

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2009, 12:58:06 »
Do you completely cover the shallots then and the onions just half?
Sorry for the Q's!

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2009, 18:31:10 »
Just put in 300 shallots, 200 Hercules and 200 centurion onions. I plant them leaving only the tips showing

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2009, 18:53:40 »
Do you completely cover the shallots then and the onions just half?
Sorry for the Q's!

I just sink them about half way up enough for the roots to be in the ground firmly

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2009, 20:31:08 »
Powerspade
300 shallots?thats a potential 3000 back what the hell are you doing with all that lot?
If its pickles i bet the duvets lift in your house? ;D
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal