Author Topic: rookie grower  (Read 4372 times)

pandora,s box

• Not So New ...
Re: rookie grower
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 18:53:05 »
 ;D ;D yes i ave found the glass bed with about 1000 nails or more cant count anymore!!!!!! different shades of glass...very nice!!! NOT!! all this in the midst of a burnt out tree aswell....never mind will get there in the end!!!!!! looking forward to the next bit i ave to dig up!!! never know i mite become a millionaire!!!!!!!

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
  • From humble beginnings...
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 19:15:35 »
Just a quick hi to you. This site is a real goldmine of info and advice. I wouldn't be without it. :) :)  Good luck and good growing to you
Thas a rummun !!

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 19:43:06 »
We got our 1/2 plot at the beginning of Dec last year & there was a lot of rubbish to clear. We were told the previous person had been kicked off because he hadn't looked after it, & the same thing would happen to us if we didn't. We went on Saturday P.M. & our eldest daughter & 3 grandchildren were in the area so popped to see what we had got done since they saw it last year. She was amazed to see her beloved father digging trenches & slinging manure in said trenches instead of sat in front of the box. Sky+ is wonderful. Might be a different thing when the cricket season starts.
Janet

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2009, 20:23:44 »
I am very new to this growing lark only started last year. I had never grown anything. Totally addicted now.

There is one thing I have learned. "it really doesnt matter" If you want to try carrotts or anything that grabs you. Just go for it. The worst that can happen is they wont grow and you have wasted a couple of pounds but gained valuable experience. Its not rocket science and it should be fun. Just do a little bit and keep on top of the weeds.

All the best.

F

pandora,s box

• Not So New ...
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2009, 16:09:10 »
hi everyone,,,just ad another few hours up at my allotment/scrapyard/glass bank/forest!!!!! yes i.ve ad a bad day!!! dont seem to be gettin anywere,,i know i am but feel fed up at the moment!! hope this is normal??? waiting for things to arrive that people ave promised me???? wood etc etc!!!! dont want to be a nag!!! ha ha.. my soil is like clay!!!! and to top it all my hubby as an operation tommorrow so i.ll be left with it all for a while!!!!!! sorry for the moan is there anyone out there with words of support!!!! lol.... :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2009, 17:11:43 »
Have you taken some "before" and "during" pictures? When you finally get it sorted you'll feel great looking back at them! For now, don't worry about moaning to us, we all have a good moan from time to time. I know I have often felt as if I 'm going backwards with my plot. Hope your hubby's operation goes well.

tim_n

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2009, 09:00:13 »
before and after pics a must - biggest regret for everything I do that I didn't do them! pff.

All you need for a sucessful plot is a spade and a fork and plenty of hard graft.

Don't try to do it all at once.  I have a half plot and I only managed to dig two beds the first year I was there - the rest should be mown regularly.

gardentg44

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2009, 08:09:14 »
When we started we unearthed parts of a bed and armchair. Not so long back [Tony dug up a pair of slippers and socks and a pair of trousers. ]I told him to stop digging in case there was something more sinister down there

what size waist ?

i could do with a pair of gardening trousers ;D ;D ;D
kes   A man with no money in is pocket at christmas is too idle to borrow.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal