Author Topic: storage shed, metal or plastic?  (Read 4832 times)

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
storage shed, metal or plastic?
« on: December 27, 2008, 16:59:06 »
Hello,
Does anyone have experience with a plastic or metal shed?
It's just for storage on my second lottie, nothing fancy, no maintenance but it has to stand up to rude weather and storms.
I would appreciate opinions of anyone that has one of these types of storage sheds and how hard was it to assemble.
Ina

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: storage shed, metal or plastic?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 19:08:02 »
I have a sectional metal shed, it was easy to put up and has stayed up for years with mininmum maintenance ( I keep breaking the plastic door runners). The wooden floor has now rotted through. Fasten it down properly though as the first winter it took off and blew over a couple of allotments!!  :-[

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 22:04:39 »
We had a plastic storage box to store the kids bikes in our back garden.  The wind kept blowing the lid off and eventually broke the hinges.  The lid was always blowing off.  Should of been secured better I suppose.  Can't grumble though because we got it for nothing.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 08:42:24 »
Thank you both for your feedback.
I had a feeling that wind would be the main problem for these types of sheds.

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 09:34:42 »
Wooden sheds can always be repaired

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 10:40:33 »
But are much easier to burn down!!!
I found realigning it so that the doors were protected from the prevailing winds was the best move.  :-\

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 10:48:38 »
I have a storage box on my allotment.  It works well for storage of tools etc.. but I do have to put 2 bricks on the lid to keep it shut.  A bit  of a nusiance.  Anyone on here with a better idea?  Otherwise it is good value for money and no problems with a base. 

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 11:12:59 »
I n view of the fact that many people are having sheds burnt down,Metal sheds must be the best.

However I love wooden sheds,you get that lovely smell when you go in.

We have metal sheds at our caravan site due to fire regs and they do not feel the same. :)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 11:46:22 »
I have had and have got both types.
The metal shed will not be burnt down as one of my previous wooden sheds did in the past, but I do get some condensation in it. Guttering wasn't provided so  we have had to use some special glue to fix it on as drilling through the metal would have caused some rust in the end. It does rattle around a bit in the wind, but we fixed it very securely to the ground. Some of the roof corners have gone a bit rusty but over all I am very happy with it, although recently the local grafitti 'artists' have come along and tagged the doors so I will be painting over it and sign it myself!

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 12:34:38 »
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

Moonbeam65

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 08:11:17 »
A friend of mine has one of these metal sheds that you see on the link provided by Larkshall the only problem was the sliding doors they were to flimsy so i took them of and replaced them with double wooden ones.
We framed the opening with 3x2 by screwing through the metal surround which made it a lot stronger and made the doors out of 18mm thick weatherproof ply bolted them on with good strong t hinges and finished it off with a good heavy hasp and padlock.
One of the doors has a bolt top and bottom in the inside so it makes it more secure and you can have either one half open or both.
They have now been on for over 3 years and have worked very well so much so that some of the other plot holders who have metal sheds have done the same some have even lined the outside of there doors with a galvanised metal sheet.

Peasticks

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 18:31:16 »
I have a plastic shed in my garden and it gets blown over several times a year - gives the chicken food a bit of a ride around the garden  ;D I wouldn't buy another. On the plus side it was easy peasy to put together.

sawsaw

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 11:21:00 »
I have a sectional metal shed, it was easy to put up and has stayed up for years with mininmum maintenance ( I keep breaking the plastic door runners). The wooden floor has now rotted through. Fasten it down properly though as the first winter it took off and blew over a couple of allotments!!  :-[

Any chance you can remember where to get these plastic door runners as daft old me can't even remember what name of shed i have, just that its an apex type with two sliding doors( and just for the record I laid mine on concrete it's great!)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 12:00:53 »
hiya, seesaw, welcome to the site  ;D
we have a wooden shed, can't get in it for tools, anyway and it came with the plot  ;D

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 13:46:57 »
I'd say don't go steel.

The noise in heavy rain is awful, they rust, they wobble in the wind, and unless you are used to working in steel, they are awful to assemble.

I shall not even comment on plastic!

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 16:21:57 »
Love the Avatar BJ... Welcome to the site Sawsaw... I'll have a look  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 20:36:17 »
Hi Sawsaw,

I got them from Store More Garden Buildings
Stockport. 0161 4303347
sales@4StoreMore.com
That was in Feb 04 and 4 glides set me back £10
 ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal