Author Topic: Quiet chicken breed  (Read 8864 times)

Laney

• Quarter Acre
  • Clueless in South Essex
Quiet chicken breed
« on: December 06, 2008, 09:49:33 »
I've had chickens before, about twelve years ago when I was still living at my Mum's, and sadly after about a year the neighbors have had enough of their early morning clucking and we had to send them to a farm.  They were a Welsummer and a Plymouth Rock.
I've been trying to convince my husband for years to go for chickens, we still live in an urban environment, but I've been told it was my chicken house that was the problem.  If they get light in their roosting box they will start up with the noise quite early.  My chickens had the free rein of their run, and weren't shut away at night, so they were out at first light.  I've been told that if I shut them up tight and cover them, they'll stay quiet until I let them out.  Is this true?

Hubby has finally suggested chickens to me, mainly to save money as we are spending a small fortune on free range eggs.  I've heard that Cochins and Brahmas are quiet birds, but they are hard to come by and I'm thinking I'm going to have to hatch some myself.    Are there any other quiet breeds?  Is hatching and raising them yourself a lot of work?  I'm sure my three children(soon to be four!) would love it!)
Blog

The main purpose of holding children's parties is to remind yourself that there are children more awful than your own.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Quiet chicken breed
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 03:46:40 »
Try this website below.  It lists some breeders in and around your area:

http://www.poultry.allotment.org.uk/poultry-suppliers/live-poultry-egg-supplier-england.php

I usually get mine from Glencroft Poultry but it is a bit far to travel from where you are.  The Corel Nick is a docile bird that apparently lays up to 355 eggs per year.

http://www.glencroftpoultry.co.uk/hen_house.htm
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 04:05:58 by ktlawson »
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

zaz283

• Quarter Acre
  • Life's just too short
    • Allotment Heaven
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 08:23:20 »
Hi Laney... I got my 4 chickens (one for each grandchild) this Spring & find them nice & quiet. They're shown in order of merit below. Handling them early on & showing them care makes them fantastic pets.

* Amber White is very docile & nosey, happily manhandled by my grandchildren
* Black Rock, similar to above, very friendly
* Marans, don't like being picked up, not so friendly
We can wish & we can wish
But we can never have
What once seemed ours forever

http://allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Poet

• Quarter Acre
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 23:35:49 »
be careful about covering them over, their coop needs to have ventilation or they'll overheat and won't be able to breathe.

hatching is NOT something the amateur chicken keeper should consider until you've fully researched the subject and know what you're doing.  Would you be prepared if you hatched cockerels for example, what would you do with them?

« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 23:39:02 by Poet »

Laney

• Quarter Acre
  • Clueless in South Essex
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 10:38:57 »
be careful about covering them over, their coop needs to have ventilation or they'll overheat and won't be able to breathe.

hatching is NOT something the amateur chicken keeper should consider until you've fully researched the subject and know what you're doing.  Would you be prepared if you hatched cockerels for example, what would you do with them?

I have decided to get point of lay birds now for this reason.  I have *ahem* dispatched :( birds before(being a bird breeder sometimes it's a must), but I can't imagine being too keen on having to dispose of 6 cockerels in this way.  It's not a nice job.
Blog

The main purpose of holding children's parties is to remind yourself that there are children more awful than your own.

Aslan

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 23:55:00 »
Definitely ISA Warrens. Bought ours from local commercial chicken farm in excellent condition as point of lay/ £5 each seems a good average price. Real quite, don't hassle the neighbours, very easy to handle and outstanding layers.

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 12:22:13 »
I definately agree with the ISA Warrens.  I have 15 which live in a fenced off run surrounded by an electric fence.  The put themselves to bed and come out as soon as it becomes light.  They only make a squark when they see us, and I have never heard them making lots of noise in the mornings.

I hope get sorted out soon.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 15:56:27 »
 ???

What does the ISA stand for please?

RW

• Quarter Acre
    • The Poultry Guide
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 16:31:02 »
ISA stands for Institut de Sélection Animale, the company which developed the breed.

They are a crossing of Rhode Island Reds and Rhode Island Whites.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 17:04:47 »
Thanks RW, love new information, and when/if I am ever "allowed" birds I know what to look for!

;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal