Author Topic: potting on celery  (Read 3164 times)

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
potting on celery
« on: May 01, 2016, 09:44:06 »
hi folks

I have a couple of questions about celery that I'd be grateful for some advice about. I've got most of my information from Joy Larkcom's Grow Your Own Vegetables. In there it says to plant out celery level with the soil. Mine has become quite straggly with the back up on the windowsills and I was wondering what folks' experience with planting up to the seed leaves actually was.

Also in the book it tells me to avoid letting the temperature fall below 10 deg C to avoid bolting, although the sooner I can get them to the greenhouse, the more plants will breathe a sigh of relief on the windowsill. How religious do I need to be on this?

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: potting on celery
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 10:11:41 »
My celery goes I into trenches in my raised beds which I pour water into and earth up as the plants grow, even though they are self blanching varieties. Mine have been outside for about a month in modules and haven't bolted in the past......
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
Re: potting on celery
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 14:55:31 »
Thanks Deb, looks like I'm fussing too much then. My overcrowded chilli plants are in your debt!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal