Author Topic: GREENHOUSE REMOVAL  (Read 4494 times)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
GREENHOUSE REMOVAL
« on: October 03, 2008, 09:33:26 »
Hello,

Well at long last I have found a greenhouse for my lottie. Do you have any tips for dismantling and transporting the greenhouse via a van to my lottie. I'm hoping the van we have ordered will allow us to keep the sides etc in pieces without having to break it down completely. Of course I will remove the glass first  ;D

Thank-You
Lauren  ;)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Re: GREENHOUSE REMOVAL
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 09:58:01 »
a bit obvious perhaps but draw a plan and number the panes of glass you are removing so they will go back in the same place  :)

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 10:10:10 »
Toby on Gardener's World suggested taking pictures of all the joints and connection points to use as a reference to putting back together.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 10:15:36 »
A  pair of long nose pliers for the clips and a cordless drill/screwdriver fitted with a socket spanner that fits the aluminium bolts . A thin bladed knife for  carefully going under roof panes if they are stuck to the rubber .. A permanent black marker pen for the fancy bits of glass so you know where they have come from .
Some sheets of newspaper to go between glasses for when your transporting them
Also if you want to make it really easy 4 rolls of different coloured insulating tape so that when you have got the glass out you wrap some round each side of joints as you dismantle the frame ... Then when you come to put the frames together red goes to red etc  .Finally a dance to Thor so there is no wind when you dismantle it  :) Good luck with it ..
Cheers .. Jim

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 11:35:11 »
Make sure the ground is prepared before you start, and you have somewhere safe to put the pieces while you are assembling it.

And good luck  :) :) :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

PAULW

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 19:32:40 »
Undo the roof struts from the sides then remove the ridge, loosen the roof struts on the ridge and the struts attached to the ridge should lay in the same direction like a diving stick insect, detach the sides from the ends and there you have five pieces, two ends two sides and the ridge.

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 21:56:34 »
Thanks everyone, some really useful tips there.

THANK-YOU

Lauren  ;)

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 22:36:54 »
hello lauren
  when we moved our greenhouse we put letters on each bit which we had to take apart e.g A on the right side base then small a for an upright bit connecting on to it.  The next bit would be B connecting small b then Cc, Dd, Ee, Ff etc.  Good luck   

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 07:18:42 »
Make sure you greenhouse is placed perfectly flat too.....or you will have fun fitting the glass back in...not!
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 11:26:09 »
just take out the glass, get a 'flatbed' pickup (transit size) the frame can be transported whole. saves a lot of messing about! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 11:37:19 »
just take out the glass, get a 'flatbed' pickup (transit size) the frame can be transported whole. saves a lot of messing about! ;)

Thats what we did. They weigh next to nothing. Very easy to move. Access permitting of course. Never put glass in before was easy to do. Make sure you have some spare clips. You can never have enough and they are not expensive.

Carls3168

• Half Acre
    • The Pellon Allotment
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 11:59:11 »
I'm with Tonybloke - try move the whole frame in one - alot easier!

When your taking out the glass remove the sides, front and back first - then do the roof last, when putting it back replace them in reverse. Also have a trip to B&Q and make sure you have plenty of spare clips BEFORE you start rebuilding it - might also be worth getting a couple of spare panes of glass, breakages are garenteed!!!

Most important.... wear thick gloves!!!  :o

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 21:14:55 »
Good luck with the greenhouse Lauren. Can we see a picture when it's complete? I'm trying to imagine where on your plot you plan on erecting it.

Tricia

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 21:32:12 »
Well the trip to collect the greenhouse was successful. Only one pane of glass got broken  ::)

The greenhouse will go onto the plot next door to the one you saw Tricia.

I will be sharing plot 20 with Lynn who has a tiny quarter plot on the lower side of me.

I will post pictures on another thread.

Lauren  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal