Author Topic: over-wintering and mini-greenhouses  (Read 12578 times)

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
Re: over-wintering and mini-greenhouses
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2008, 22:07:06 »
I usually put mine in when I go to bed which is generally about 11pm ish.  No idea how long they last, but I think you can get longer burning ones, just not sure where!
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 23:34:26 »
you can get 8 and 10 hour ones, google them would be best (tea lights 8 hour)
lbb

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 09:44:01 »
an upturned terracotta plant pot over the tea light will increase the temperature (works as a heat store) ;)
You couldn't make it up!

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 09:54:35 »
like i said before i have never heard or tried this method but i am intrigued. so what exactly does it do, does it raise the temp significantly or does it just keep frost at bay. last year i overwintered some very young perennials in the unheated glass greenhouse and although they did fine there was definite evidence of frost, as standing water in there iced over as much as 1/4 inch thick quite a few times during the coldest months. so would less robust plants such as aubergines over winter OK with this method or should i stick to original plan of keeping them in the conservatory over the winter???

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2015, 11:38:58 »
This is a very old post but given the weather some might be thinking of heating greenhouses with tealights and using clay flower pots as 'radiators'.

Except that tealights only burn for a few hours, not quite enough for a long winter's night.  Just found this on youtube which claims to last for 100 hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNxj8Mg0BYk

This method potentially heats the greenhouse for a long weekend,  not just for one night.   :wave:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2015, 11:49:07 »
i dont realy know about in the green house but (oh please this is going to date me)\
when i was little our loo was outside, mum used to light a candle out there to stop it frosting up\
you realy could feel the difference from one little candle\
so i would imagine it would make some difference\
lbb\

I remember it well and the candle was handy for reading the bits of newspaper bum paper that was nailed to the door :happy7:

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2015, 11:53:19 »
Hi Ya, I have never tried the candle way but I do use mini greenhouses inside my large greenhouse. I put a fleece cover over them and the plastic one on top. I use the small frost beater parasene heaters on a low light over night then open the mini g/h up during the day to vent them. I have heard people talk about tea lights before and terracotta pots and it seem to work as well. I find my system works very well. Good luck with what ever method you try.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2015, 12:25:07 »
A mate of mine used a light bulb under his bench and what might be best described as a polythene cold frame on the top of bench covering his plants within.

The electricity was supplied by a long extension lead from the house.

He then cut a hole in the bottom of a tin can and fitted a lampholder into the hole.

All that was required then was to fit a bulb and switch on and the heat from the bulb radiated upwards into the cold frame.

Nowadays I would just use a purpose made lead lamp that I have in the garage to give light under the car when required.

In the interest of safety you would have to ensure that no surplus water after watering the plants got onto the electrical fittings.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal