Author Topic: Buying seeds  (Read 2928 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Buying seeds
« on: September 08, 2008, 11:52:05 »
Last year I just bought seeds from Morrisons which I was quite pleased with as excited that anything grew.  Next year I want to grow fewer plants from seed but better quality.  ie toms that are blight resistant and carrots that are fly resistant, sprouts that don't blow etc. I have looked at Alan Titchmarsh seeds.  I don't mind paying a bit more, but my question is are the expensive ones much better than say B & Q, Woolworth.  I want to grow yellow courgettes as I am sick to death of green ones.  Also save beans from runner beans, is that OK or should I buy new.  Saved seed from sweet peas last year but lost some of the different colours, so may buy new.  Also my sweet corn was rubbish so need to grow a good variety and plant it in a block. We eat a lot of spinach and the everlasting variety is easy to grow but may try a different one next year.  Any ideas, advice appreciated.  Have dreams of winning shows next year (well you never know).

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: Buying seeds
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 12:49:40 »
I had some terrific yellow courgettes this year, much more productive than the green! But slow to grow to huge unusable sizes! Tender and tasty, they were Farador and very cheap from Alan Romans.
I also got my sweetcorn from them, Lark, it was very early (but I didn't pollinate it properly - even so the ones I did get were lovely), and my rhubarb Chard which is doing well. Their seeds are very cheap, OK not so much variety but a good basic selection and I found the germination rate very good. Nothey didn't pay me to say that lol. But I will get some more from them next year.
I wanted some things from DT Browns, their prices were good but I couldn't order as I had some Visa card hassles - I will try them again for 2009...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 12:56:21 »
Thanks for that.  I am just starting to write my list of seeds for next year.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 13:04:09 »
Just looked at the Alan Romans site and don't know what to choose. Thanks for that info as I had never heard of them before.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 13:59:25 »
I've used Alan Romans before too. Just be aware that there are not so many seeds in each pack as some, but still plenty. He's more well known for his spuds, which I also got from him a couple of years ago.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 19:12:51 »
Take a look at the list of seed catalogues in the wiki it gives brief descriptions & links for all the well known companies.
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/mediawiki/index.php/Links_to_seed_catalogues

The real seed catalogue is always worth a look they have a limited range compared to some companies but they do stock a lot of interesting varieties.
http://www.realseeds.co.uk/

One company a lot of people have problems with & I think is best avoided is Seedfest.co.uk who have also previously traded or are currently trading as:
cheapseeds.net
garden-seeds.net
heirloom-seeds.net
uk-seeds.net
seed-catalog.net
flower-seed.net
sweet-pea-seeds.com 
herb-seeds.net
growing-vegetables.com
how-to-grow-vegetables.com
vegetable-gardening.net
vegetableplants.net
vegetableseed.net
heirloom-tomato-seeds.com
heirloom-tomatoes.com
heirloom-tomatoes.net
heirloomtomato.net
heirloomtomatoes.info
heirloomtomatoseeds.net
russiantomatoes.com
beef-tomatoes.com
beefsteak-tomatoes.com
brandywine-tomatoes.com
cherry-tomatoes.com
tomato-seeds.com
tomatoseeds.net
tomatoseeds.biz
chile-pepper-seeds.com
pepper-seeds.net
pepperseeds.net
heirloombeans.com
heirloomsquash.com
melonseeds.com
eggplantseeds.com

If you are tempted to order from seedfest I suggest you read through these links first. All their sites are easily identified as they mention either Anioleka seeds or Roguelands seeds usually on the bottom left of the page.
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,37478.0.html
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/2621/

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 19:29:05 »
I have heard of Mr Fothergills, but have looked at Dobies.  What about Alan Titchmarsh's seeds.   Do I buy seeds now or wait until the Spring.  I do not want 500 or 1,000 seeds in a packet.  Alan Romans sounds quite good, 5 or 6 good seeds would do me. I thought this allotment growing was quite easy, but I realise I have a lot to learn, thought a tomato was a tomato and a brussel sprout a brussel sprout, but when they get disease or don't taste good after all that work tempted to buy from the supermarkets.  At least people fight for my runner beans as I pick them young so they are tender.  Anyway thanks for your help but find it is quite a hard learning curve.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 19:40:26 »
nicky's seeds is an on line company, if you want something a bit unusual  :)
saying that, we had good results from netto's 29p country seed range  ;D

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 19:41:11 »
You couldn't make it up!

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 22:55:27 »
I used to use t+m but now i just buy as i go,as i tended to go seed crazy and spend a fortune !!!
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 15:29:26 »
try kings seeds  not to pricey ,a good selectio
they have an allotment site seed  order for plotters at a mutch cheaper price than the catalogue
ask your site rep to get details  it will save you all pounds

KINGS SEEDS
MONKS FARM COGGESHALL ROAD
KELVEDON  ESSEX  CO5  9PG

01376  570000
E..MAIL  SALES@KINGSSEEDS.CO.COM
WEB SIT   WWW.KINGSSEEDS.COM

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 15:56:15 »
B&Q seeds are from SUTTONS  ;D

Also if some of the things you intend to grow next year don't need to be sown until May (or later), try and hang on for the Thompson & Morgan half price seed sale. Sign up for their news letter and get the early alerts. Some kind soul usually announces it in the A4A Bargains section too.

If you find that some of the packets are way too generous for your needs, look for the seed swaps that you can take part in on here. It's good fun, bit like Christmas waiting for the parcel to arrive  ;D. There are always varieties to try that you probably wouldn't think to try.

Lauren  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 16:07:33 »
Thanks everyone for your replies.  I think I will be busy this winter looking at all the different web sites, magazines, etc. and dreaming of wonderful crops next year.  Some of the people I was talking to at the allotment have had it for over 30 years and have no weeds.  They go up there every day for a short time and hoe.  They have the experience of growing different seeds, vegs. and as I only got an allotment after retirement at 60 (5 years ago) when I am 90 I may be as knowledgable as them, but wish I had started earlier but was too busy working.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 18:09:01 »
Don't forget the Wyevale sale - 50p a packet - they may have some left ....

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 20:48:37 »
If seedfest have had that incredible list of different names, that says everything about them!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal