Author Topic: Question re storing begonia corms over winter.  (Read 22798 times)

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
Question re storing begonia corms over winter.
« on: August 24, 2008, 14:15:44 »
My children bought me a large amount of begonia corms for Mothers day, they have produced a spectacular display of double headed flowers and I would like to try and save them for another display next year.

They are displayed in a large three tiered standing basket.
I have looked up how to store begonias over winter and generally the advice is to lift them, dry them out and store in peat at about 50 f.

So if I was to leave the corms in the basket and bubble wrap it over winter, would my corms be likely to survive? :-\

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: Question re storing begonia corms over winter.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 10:00:24 »
Just like daila's they just need to be frost free.
You could leave in basket but you run the risk of overwintering vine weevil the eggs will hatch and eat into the corms its happened to me.
best to let the frost touch them and natural die back all goodness goes back into corms then lift , dry and clean and pack in fresh dry compost.
A cardboard box in a shed/greenhouse in the shade moisture free.
If you can keep the corms over winter the plants will be bigger next year and  some can get as big as tea plates in years to come, I kid you not.

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 18:58:24 »
Thanks Teresa, I will definitely follow your advice and give it a whirl. Much appreciated x

jamesmiddz

• Not So New ...
    • The Allotment Garden
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 20:58:40 »
I agree with Teresa,

Keep them frost free and dry. Last year, I bought a few begonia 'plugs' from my local garden centre. Cost me about 50p per tiny plant. They grew into lovely double bright scarlet begonias last summer and are now brightening up my patio. Twice the size this year!

Once all of the foliage has died back, carefully remove the corms (I think they are classed as corms??) from the compost and keep in a dry frost free place until spring.

I wonder how many people are given begonias for gifts and then throw them away, thinking that they are dead at the end of the season! :o

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 23:45:59 »
Well its not in the garden centres interest, to tell you how to over winter plants, as you wont buy them next year  :o :o thats why A4A comes to the rescue.
When you have a large corm in the spring when you see the new shoots comming ( after sitting them on damp peat) you can take a sharp knife and cut the corm up. Either just in half or more just make sure it has one shoot comming up. Leave it to dry naturaly, the cut ,and pot up and off they go.
Plants for free thats what I like.
Many grow dailias from seed as instant bedding flower for summer they do grow fast. Not realising they grow into tubers that can be kept for next year .

martinrowe

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 20:47:06 »
I have a couple of begonias I would like to keep over winter.  Although I have found this thread useful, I was wondering if I could have a bit of clarification.

Do you let the first frost get to the plants to start the dying off process, then you lift them, let them dry off, then keep them in dry peat?

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 22:24:30 »
Don't forget to label them, they all look the same when the flowers and foliage have died down.
The Tuscan Beaneater

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 22:55:36 »
If you let the first frost touch them dig them up and lay in a frost free place to die back. Goodness goes back into corm, them when the growth has dried off clean up the corm and remove all soil and compost before packing into fresh compost for overwintering.
Yes do lable what they are and colour like me I never remember the following year.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal