Author Topic: garlic  (Read 3386 times)

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
Re: garlic
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 08:42:02 »
Whenever I see my bought garlic sprouting I plant it despite which month it is, so far so good.  :)

this sounds like a good idea, i think i will try this in containers to minimise the risk of virus from uncertfied cloves getting into the soil. but i have a question: how long do you wait before harvesting or do you look for signs that indiviual bulbs might be ready?

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 09:01:12 »
Easy, 'mom'.....the leaves will start to die and keel over :)

The price of garlic and growing your own?  I've never not grow it - it's one of my staples, but last week in Brum's Bull Ring market, I saw bags of superb white large glorious bulbs, must have been 10 bulbs in a bag - being sold for.......£1.  Just for a moment I wondered....

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2008, 09:25:23 »
Easy, 'mom'.....the leaves will start to die and keel over :)

The price of garlic and growing your own?  I've never not grow it - it's one of my staples, but last week in Brum's Bull Ring market, I saw bags of superb white large glorious bulbs, must have been 10 bulbs in a bag - being sold for.......£1.  Just for a moment I wondered....

the price is exacty why i tried to grow them this year, but the crop failed. at ten for a £1, i would have bought £3 or £4 worth to keep me from getting them at the supermarket.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 22:00:31 »
......but I've got enough plaited and hanging up to keep me going til next year 8) ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2008, 22:19:40 »
I planted my garlic in October and i am only picking now and there big shop sized bulbs :)

I will plant two bulbs back for next years crop but as i might be giving up my allotment if we move i plan on planing up a load of pottery pots which i will bury so i can move the garlic :)

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2008, 22:25:13 »
I have only ever bought two garlic bulbs for growing my own garlic since 2004. It would only have been one but in the dry spring of 2007 my crop developed rust. Anyway a single bulb should keep you going for a few years if you take the biggest and best cloves and replant for the next year.

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2008, 07:19:28 »
Thifasmom I too plant the (bought) garlic in pots and yes I look to see if they are ready when I need them.  :)

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2008, 10:49:34 »
right I'll set up a couple pots near the back door for garlic growing, would you say i should regularly top up with home made compost to keep the soil nourished and if yes how often?

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2008, 07:02:30 »
Thifasmom Ill explain how I plant and grow mine so you can decide how you want to grow yours.  :)

I fill pots with top soil and sand to which I add chicken pellets or growmore, then I plant the clove/bulb into the soil about 2/3rds deep, leaving the tip out of the soil same as you do with onions. I water when needed and feed at monthly intervals.
My pots are in full sun and I dont let them get too wet in case the garlic rot.

Oh, and my pots are the long type that you have for window plants cos garlic roots dont go too deep and I get more planting area plus I got them from a skip. ;)

Done like this you can usually see if the garlic are ready.

If you plant the garlic by your back door you shouldnt get any flies in your kitchen as flies hate the smell.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 07:06:54 by Ishard »

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2008, 10:22:05 »
OK thanks for the info i have an idea how I'll do it now.

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2008, 17:02:25 »
You are welcome  :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2008, 17:11:17 »
from the 2 bulbs i planted last year i picked 2lb of garlic last night some nice bug bulbs which i have drying outside at the moment. Will be picking a couple of nice big bulbs out and planting them up in the next 2 to 3 weeks i have the clay pots out and am mixing some of the soil the garlic was grown in this year and some grit into each pot for planting.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal