Author Topic: Seed catalogues... yes I know its a bit early but  (Read 5793 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Seed catalogues... yes I know its a bit early but
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 17:47:55 »
we bought some seed from lidl this year and they were good, trouble is, I like to have mine in, mostly, before they get any in  :)

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 18:34:14 »
I have often wondered about the seed catalogue,s, you send of for one and end up getting them from every one.
I don,t believe for one moment that all of these seed distributors, Dobbie, DT Brown and Fotheringgills and so on take their own seed, cross pollinate etc to sell onto us.
I do believe that there is possibly two companies that do this, Kings and Marshals who sell their seeds onto the other companies and the price you pay is for the grade of seed you get not the quantity.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 21:58:16 »
jungle seeds are very expensive.. but some really weird stuff I will just have to try

And even if you don't, the catalogue is a work of art in itself.

For unusual veg, I'm a big fan of Real Seeds as well. Their information on seed collection is great - and that alone says a lot for a seed supplier!
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2008, 09:59:54 »
I also like Simpson's and Nicky's Nursery  but think Nicky's only do online.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2008, 19:16:12 »
I have often wondered about the seed catalogue,s, you send of for one and end up getting them from every one.
I don,t believe for one moment that all of these seed distributors, Dobbie, DT Brown and Fotheringgills and so on take their own seed, cross pollinate etc to sell onto us.

I think Suttons and Dobies are the same company, and D T Brown and Mr Fothergills are very similar (if not the same company).

I should have to say, I don't mind how many catalogues I get in the Autumn/Spring.  It gives something bright to look at, to and look forward to in the coming year.  Cheers the dark Winter nights a bit ;D

I know I go on about Moles (and I have to agree the minimum quantities are huge, and you have to add 17.5% vat on flowere seed), but when their catalogue drops through the door, it's like an enormous glossy magazine.  Much to OH's delight it keeps me quiet for hours. ;D

valmarg

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal