Author Topic: Seed catalogues... yes I know its a bit early but  (Read 5794 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Seed catalogues... yes I know its a bit early but
« on: August 03, 2008, 12:13:01 »
I know it is a bit early for re-ordering seed catalogues but I thought I would share this news.  Our allotment shop sells seeds from supplier Kings Seeds.  For the first time,  I have been looking on their website this past week. It appears to be much cheaper than some others for the same varieties of seeds. 

http://www.kingsseeds.com/Ko-Transact/catalogue.asp
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Seed catalogues... yes I know its a bit early but
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 16:35:19 »
I think Moles Seeds are best value, of the companies I buy from.  Their catalogue runs from the beginning of October to the end of September.  If you order before 30th November, cash sales get a 6% discount.

valmarg

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 18:16:54 »
our allotment king's seeds catalogue arrived this week, heavily discounted and the association gets a bit back on orders  :)

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 22:22:46 »
I should have to say that Kings seeds are extremely expensive when compared with Moles.

valmarg

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 22:34:44 »
Yes Moles Seeds are a little cheaper, eg Cabbage Tundra

Kingseeds £2-00 for 80
Moles Seeds £6-85 for 500 (Min quantity)

I tend to grow over 100 different varieties of veg each year so can see who I would opt for, especially given the discounts Kings offers.

If I just wanted to grow a plot of Cabbage Tundra then yes, Valmarg, you are right!

Best laid plans and all that

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 23:47:46 »
All I was meaning was that if you have the good fortune to have an allotment society, it would be beneficial to bulk buy from Moles, and distribute between members.

Either way, I find it far more economical to buy from Moles.

Kings seems a far more expensive way of buying seed..

valmarg

pippy

• Acre
  • North Notts Allotments!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 13:39:53 »
Kings seeds are affilited to suffolk herbs.  Both do quite a good selection of vegetable seeds and I have to say the Suffolk Herbs catalogue is brilliant and very interesting to read with all sorts of unusual stuff.  I have bought seeds from both and found them very good.  If you don't have an allotment shop that is (!).
Leave only footprints, take only photographs ....

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 14:07:53 »
And don't forget that if an allotment shop were to buy in bulk, somebody has to give up quite a lot of time to count up and re-bag the seeds. Some gardeners also want the pretty packet to remind them what a cabbage actually looks like.

pippy

• Acre
  • North Notts Allotments!
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 14:16:22 »
Actually quite a lot of their packets are just plain blank with words and no pictures.  You have to imagine them or refer back to the lovely catelogue I guess !  Same applies to some of the orther mail order suppliers tho - I guess it cuts down their costs?
Leave only footprints, take only photographs ....

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 14:21:26 »
And don't forget that if an allotment shop were to buy in bulk, somebody has to give up quite a lot of time to count up and re-bag the seeds. Some gardeners also want the pretty packet to remind them what a cabbage actually looks like.

Kings seeds don't send the seeds in bulk to associations but in multiple separate packets of the usual size, so easier to manage for the shopkeeper.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 20:39:06 »
I haven't bought from King's. How do you get an allotment society discount?

I got the Moles' seeds catalogue last year but was put off by the minimum quantities you can order. Good for the parks department , not good for allotment holder punters who want to choose lots of different varieties. IMHO.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 21:15:47 »
if your association is a member of nsalg, grawc, you should be getting a king's seed catalogue

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 21:27:13 »
Thanks Mal, we probably aren't. I'll investigate. How much is the discount?

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 21:49:15 »
I like Edwin Tucker seeds:

www.tuckers-seeds.co.uk

I don't think you get discount but they do special offers. I can only comment on those seeds I buy regularly - like beans, e.g. Cosse Violette french climbing is £1.80 for 200 seeds. Germination is really good. Squash seeds around £1.30 for 10 seeds dependant on variety - they also have a really good range for a UK company.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 22:24:03 »
Thanks Mal, we probably aren't. I'll investigate. How much is the discount?
hi, anne, the discount is about 30 to 40 %,I think.. also, the society gets about 10% back on members' orders, has to be collated but it's not too hard, all members' orders come together but in separate packets, if that makes sense..they also do spuds, onion sets and garlic, as well as sundries, I'll see tomorrow, give some ideas on prices  ;D

ODD

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 16:39:17 »
Our Society buys from Kings  and we have just had the catalogue. The version provided for societies does not include pictures, I assume to cut costs and save space, but their web site is good. However not everything on the web site is available as discounted seeds for allotment societies  so do not get  carried away  looking at the pictures.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 16:43:29 »
I have just recieived 20 Marshalls Autumn catalogues for our allotmenteers. They will give up to 25% discount. I tried their seeds this year and am well pleased.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 17:16:26 »
cabbage, king's discount catalogue..80 for 1.35, kabocha pumpkin 10 for 1.30, butternut squash, 10 for 65p..carrot, autumn king, 700 for 50p..just some of the ones we buy  :)

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 17:23:41 »
our allotment king's seeds catalogue arrived this week, heavily discounted and the association gets a bit back on orders  :)

Same here.I went through my copy last night and made my order.

Mind you,the chap opposite me on the allotments bought some seed from Lidl for 19p a packet......and they were second to none!
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 17:42:34 »
and just to go off at a total tangent.... jungle seeds are very expensive.. but some really weird stuff I will just have to try...  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal