Author Topic: Fed Up Now  (Read 3397 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Fed Up Now
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2008, 21:18:15 »
In case anyone else was still wondering what moriati compost bags are:

http://bluewisteria.co.uk/tools/compost.php

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2008, 22:00:43 »
Thanks for all the advice - funny thing I noticed is that where my potatoes are the marestail is actually worse than anywhere else!  It's the d**n couch grass that's the biggest problem.  I've noticed that on the power plant I work on when they get the gigantic pipes in they seem to come in black plastic so I've asked the foreman to pass it my way when they get the next delivery in, should cover about 5 allotments judging by the size of the pipes!

Saddad, I use a cultivator thingie or as it's known in my family, a twisty thing, that seems to pull most of the roots out, failing that I chop in the beds, the sides I tend to use the strimmer on.

Antipodes, it is my first year, and I've learned a lot of lessons!  No 1. never underestimate the amount of veg you need, I haven't planted nearly enough.  No.2 slugs don't respond to death threats, when in doubt nuke the little swines and No.3 1 flask of coffee is never enough!  Much as I'd love my lottie to be all neatly planned out and tidy - given my definitely un-neat house/car/shed I have a feeling that's never going to happen!
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2008, 22:04:45 »
Hmmm, I wonder if Moriati's method would work with big blue ikea bags?  Not sure what they're made of though, I suspect not the same kind of material.

Tyke

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2008, 22:07:57 »
don't think you'll ever get rid of the horsetail. I double dug my beds this year and took virtually every bit of root out. It still comes back and can gron 6 inch ina  few days. I just keep chopping it down to stop it gathering food from light. The roots go down to 3 meters!!!

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2008, 23:44:15 »
Yep that's what i've been doing with mine Tyke.  I find leaving the roots exposed in the little sun we have tends to weaken it quite a bit too.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2008, 06:39:28 »
I have noticed that once an area has been dug, it seems to get more weeds than an area which has been left.

We now advise our members to only dig what they are using, keep black plastic on areas which are not being cultivated.

Cultivate in wide rows so that there is room for the hoe to get in between.

Mulch in between rows once they are hoed.

We have also divided some plots in two to let working people have just half the area. Once they find that they have got into a routine and can cope with half they can either move to a larger plot (when available) or have first refusal on the other half of the divided plot.

Most working people find that half a plot is sufficient for their ability to cope and do not want to take on more work.

Other peoples weeds are intrusive.

It is hard to manage a site when you have well tended plots each side of a 'neglected one'. The tenants complaining about the neglected one causing them to clear more weeds. The owner of the weedy plot is trying their best but sadly, is unable to cope.

Your allotment is supposed to be fun. If it turns into a chore then it is time to throw in the towel.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2008, 22:30:19 »
Well all i can do is keep going - I don't find it a chore, I just find I get the odd day when I just want to rant at the flippin weeds! And last week I had one of those days lol.

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2008, 14:25:31 »
Hey Posie, re your thread of 21st july a kick up the backside is the last thing you need, how come other allotments were strimmed but yours wasnt?

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2008, 18:45:54 »
We had a plot with marestail some years ago and we found that if we chopped it off at the start of the year and let the lush young shoots grow, as soon as they are in full flush then spray or water them with strong weedkiller.It does stop it in its tracks. We never really got rid of it alltogether but it kept it down. I think that for a busy housewife and mother or anyone that has a lot of other commitments it makes sense to have a half plot. We started with half and then progressed to a full plot. Perhaps you could suggest this to your allotment secretary. It would at least be a smaller mountain to climb love
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2008, 18:54:37 »
I have tried cardboard but the best stuff is that black plastic sheeting that builders use.  Its quite expensive but keep an eye out for builders - they are everywhere - and wait until they have finished the job and chucked everything in the skip.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2008, 19:30:44 »
I useblack plastic a lot, mainly because it was there when I got the plot and I can re-use it, but it does perish after a few years and the edges can be very difficult to dig out if they've been dug in to keep it in place. I'm hoping to use more cardboard, having left my number with a local kitchen firm, but then I need to find something to put on top to stop it blowing away.

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2008, 19:31:07 »
The two plot we took on are covered in marestail :( but i keep digging and pulling, it hates to be dispurbed so a cultivated plot is going to have much less on it :)
Im thinking of selling mine on e-bay  ;D i could make a fortune as organinc pan scrubs  ;D
We are now putting it all into a barrel with water and letting it rot down then adding it to the compost once its a smelly mush :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal