Author Topic: Fed Up Now  (Read 3439 times)

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
Fed Up Now
« on: July 19, 2008, 18:47:16 »
Had a letter from Council saying that whilst they're pleased that things are being grown up there, could we please keep the weeds down to prevent spreading. 

I'm doing as many hours on the weekend as I possibly can up there right now, I've just done 6 hours today but as fast as I'm cutting them down they're back.  I can't go up after work as I'm working a full time and a part time job through the summer to make ends meet and to get a few days out for kids so I'm effectively doing about 50 - 55 hours a week.  I could go on benefits but I chose to work as I don't believe in claiming if I don't need to.

Don't get me wrong I can see the Council's point but there are several plots close to mine that aren't even being worked and haven't been in the year I've been there that are head height in weeds and nothing is being done with those.

So I have two choices, I spray or I cover.  I didn't want to spray and usually it's too windy up there anyway, but I've tried covering before and they've just come back.  Any suggestions would be great.

Anyway grumble over and off a weeding I go. Again.  :(

What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Fed Up Now
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 20:34:07 »
Sorry to hear about your problem Posie but this is bureaucracy at its best, you are working your plot so they think it should be neat and tidy like their 'local parks'' where as the other plots are not being worked so they have no one to get at.

So I have two choices, I spray or I cover.  I didn't want to spray and usually it's too windy up there anyway, but I've tried covering before and they've just come back.

Are you in a position to do both? as this sounds the best option to me.

Forget about over spray due to the wind, if the other plots are not being worked this is not a problem in fact it could make an improvement to the adjacent plots.

I think I would cover the lot initially so at least it looks as if you have done something. Then gradually work your way down the plot by rolling your covering back to only expose the area you are working on.

OK this is just another way of sweeping it under the carpet so to speak but it will all look quite uniform..........like a park!!

Thats my opinion for what it is worth.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 21:04:16 »
Thanks TeeGee - your reply made me chuckle actually as only today I was saying how I wish my lottie looked as tidy as some of the others there lol.  Unfortunately both the plots next to me are worked, as are the two opposite me, either side of those are the ones that are head height.  I think however I'm going to admit defeat and spray, even if I have to put a big board up in front to deflect the wind.  I can't see any way of getting rid of it all otherwise.  It's unfortunate that the bits that are causing the problems are bits that really I hadn't decided what to do with as they're up the side and in between gooseberry bushes.  I think for now I'll aim to kill off what I can, cover what I can't then think about some companion planting there next year.  It's only my first year so it's been hard going, a lot of stuff hasn't worked i.e. parsnips and carrots my two favourite veg, but I was starting to think it was maybe coming together a little bit.  d**n bureaucracy!

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 21:45:16 »
Sounds like you got a standard letter that may well have been aimed at others.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 21:48:56 »
You're probably right MickW - just happened to turn up on a day when I'm feeling under the weather, the kids have wound me up, the car's playing up and the dog's have turned into rabid monsters!  ;D

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 21:57:18 »
All you need now is a flurry of snow and a spider in the bath

;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 22:00:11 »
Oh yeah, forgot to mention a hatching of yellow mini spiders in the bath this morning - I kid you not!

Definitely no snow though - however I've probably now jinxed myself! lol

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 22:33:10 »
Did I hear the sound of jingle bells?

;D

You just reminded me - I had a 'ten-legged' bath share the other night

...and before anyone asks, only two were human.

;)
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 23:51:43 »
posie
i know its not as good, probabl not even recomended but,  can you do your eed killer with a watering can?
i think you might get a lot less drift like that
lbb

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 00:31:45 »
If you are under pressure to keep part of the plot clear consider cheating.

A large bed of globe artichoke will work wonders for the weed problem as will a nice row of comfrey, rhubarb, courgettes, a couple of Moriati compost bags.... Make it busy.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 18:08:44 »
Moriati compost bags???? ???

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 19:08:05 »
Yesterday afternoon an indignant neighbour told me he and others had got the dreaded letter about working the plots better, had I? No! I said tactlessly, maybe it was because I was working mine....then I looked more carefully at his plot, and it was v busy and pretty good, if not perfect, and he's only had it since May (and mine certainly is not perfect).

Then a new couple came up spitting tacks about how the council had accepted their choice of plot after a bit of argument, BUT, after promising to strim and rotavate it, had done the WRONG plot - we all agreed they hadn't a clue about which plot was which and the letters had gone out at complete random.

Could this have happened to you? Ignore it.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 19:31:37 »
This seems to be a problem with council-run sites. Our Borough's allotments officer is a really good guy who is totally on the ball, but he's got about 40 sites to oversee; I don't care how good you are, or how many hours you work, you can't know every plot.

We're not a council-owned site. It has its problems - like we have to do everything ourselves - but at least we know who has which plot, what they are doing and what problems they have.

As secretary, I have to send out the "unless" letters. Even though not every plot is cultivated to within an inch of its life, I don't send out many, as we can see who is putting in an effort and who has personal problems. The odd sharp letter goes out to the odd individual who never appears, who's plot is a mess, has been complained about by their neighbours, and still refuses to do anything about it!

And the last one I sent out got an irate reply refusing to give up her plot - even though no-one has been down for the last two years - and threatening me with an EGM and her solicitor!

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 21:33:05 »
Well I guess they have a job to do.  Anyway I spent all day up there today with the petrol strimmer, cut everything down to ground level, going back up to cover what I can tomorrow and finish digging out the flippin horsetail!  Have discovered if I leave the roots exposed it tends to either kill it off or at least weaken it.  So it's looking better anyway.  I may well use a watering can as there are a few patches that really won't die off if I don't spray them.  Onwards and upwards!!!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 21:42:44 »
I would ignore the "generic" letter for now.  If you get another, then point out the others more neglected than yours.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 19:49:54 »
Well I suppose it gave me a kick up the backside if nothing else, although I do work hard up there anyway.  I shall chalk it up to a bad day and keep on going, us Welsh peeps are made of stern stuff lol  ;D

Oh also found out from chatting to a guy who used to have my lottie that the shed is knocking on for 25 years old now lol - they don't make them like that anymore!

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 09:48:30 »
Is this your first year? the first year is really hard, after that it gets a bit better.
I found that now I have fruit established, artichokes and rhubarb, it is hard to say that I am not doing anything!!  in fact my stuff is growing well, but I just have lots of weeds and once I get one corner sorted, the other one gets overgrown!! But covering is really effective, even if not very aesthetic. Put cardboard down first, that really blocks out the light. I never used any type of chemicals.
I had lots of problems, even a threatening letter as I don't grow in the same neat-never-a-blade-of-grass way as the other (retired) folk on the site, but as I persisted and ended up covering the plot in veg, they couldn't say much. It is messy but as I harvest things, who can complain?
A before and after picture (although the after one is a bit out of date, I have tidied up a lot since then, about 3 weeks ago.
Jan 2007

Jul 2008

So don't get discouraged!!!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 10:04:26 »
The best thing I did when we were struggling juggling children and the alloment was to invest in some black plastic. I know it seems expensive at the time but it allowed us to concentrate on other areas of the plot and then we were able to remove the plastic and do that area last. Its been one of our best investments and we can store it until needed again. I have also used cardboard around my fruit bushes. Maybe grow more spuds if you are struggling with the weeds. They have slowed our weed growth down and then the council can't complain.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 11:07:33 »
Do you chop or pull weeds Posie? Pulling is slower but gets the roots out as well, many big weeds will regrow in a week. If you water on the weedkiller get a special can ( I use a red one) so there is no change of watering your plants with the residue. You can get a bar attachment to apply weedkiller.

Trevor, don't you just love those people... I have had about a dozen threats of Legal action this year alone, but if they are too lazy to do their plot they tend to be too lazy to do anything other than rant!
 ;D

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 11:09:55 »
We had 2 weeks where we could not get to the lottie due to illness and hubbys dad dying, in those 2 weeks the mares tail went mad !!! we had been keeping it in check and starting to win but those 2 weeks have knocked us back and the plots do look a mess :(
We went up Sunday and blitzed it and sprayed the area where the onions came out of and im digging over another patch !
The worst bit is im the secretary and dont fancy sending myself a letter   ;D    ;D

this made me laugh for the first time in ages......
[/All you need now is a flurry of snow and a spider in the bath

quote]
 i bought some black plastic from Adsa last week in there sale about £2.00 a pack so worth having a look :)
 weds are sent to try us and life has a habit of happening so all we can do is our best :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal