Author Topic: Cat poo!  (Read 5948 times)

little lettuce

• Not So New ...
Cat poo!
« on: June 30, 2008, 13:00:34 »
Help!, can anyone suggest anything to stop the cats pooing on my garden? (please don't suggest a catapult).

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Cat poo!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 13:08:44 »
hi, little lettuce, welcome to the site, I think there was a discussion about it, maybe search would help,
you could get yourself a big water pistol , our saon puts gravel around the flowers  :-\

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 13:52:21 »
Get a cat! Ours is great - keeps the others out of the garden & craps next door!

little lettuce

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 14:55:07 »
Thanks for the suggestion but we live opposite a farm (they must have about 12 of the devils) I'm more of a dog lover but work commitments do not allow. :D

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 17:03:31 »
orange  peel is supposed to keep them of your borders.
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 19:12:28 »
Get a cat! Ours is great - keeps the others out of the garden & craps next door!

Mine do too.  :D

He's got a nasty gash on his head from keeping the others out.

KittyKatt

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 19:31:26 »
Its really a question of trial and error to find out what these particular cats don't like. A water pistol may help, or a hose if you catch them in the act, but there are some cats who actually like water and think its a game! Gravel is good, but do avoid the "pea" gravel as it turns into one giant litter tray (no pun intended!). If you go for more angular gravel, then its uncomfortable to paws when they try to dig. The sonic cat deterrents are supposed to work well, but can be expensive and I have seen pictures of cats curled up asleep on top of them! Wire netting pegged down over freshly turned earth and newly planted plants will help. There is a plant called the "scaredy cat" plant which cats are supposed to hate, which may be worth trying. I think its a type of coleus. You could try laying prunings of prickly plants around vulnerable areas and small upright sticks close together may also help.
HTH
KK

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 19:33:50 »
I just remembered - Cat Mint can help. The theory is that cats like catmint, so hang around more, think of it as home & nobody likes to crap in their own bed. Unless you have rugby playing cats!

meg_gordon

• Half Acre
  • Ayr
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 20:45:53 »
Hi Little Lettuce

Just to say that I tried scaredy cat and it has worked! Well up til now.......

Meg

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 21:00:10 »
I'll second the water spray treatment. One of my cats (2nd hand) hates water and runs a mile when I turn a tap on.
Smile, it confuses people.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 21:38:57 »
I had this problem when i first had my asparagus bed. I bought Growing Success cat repellent (it's okay for organic use) which uses strong essential oils which cats don;t like. Personally I thought the pellets which were like an evenig primrose smell was quite nice  :-\. Anyhows the neighbourhood cats of which we have plenty soon scarpered and haven't been back since, and I stopped using it two years ago.

southernsteve

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 16:53:31 »
I've had terrible problems with the local cats using my garden as a toilet. They don't care where they go, and no matter what I have put down they just move to another piece of the garden. Flower beds, grass you name it they have done their business there. I have tried 2 of those sonic alarm things, pepper, lions dung and probably all the other so called repellents on the market. Water was no good as we used to have a pond and the most prolific of the cats just sat on the water fall.
Well a couple of months back we were given a rabbit. I have made the garden secure so it can't escape, and it gets the run of the place when we are at home. Rabbits being rabbits, it just does it's business all over the place, which is not objectionable. But surprise surprise, no cat pooh, not one little bit. I can only think that the scent has sent the cats packing.
I'd rather be flying

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 17:25:11 »
A water pistol worked at keeping our neighbours cats out who were terrorising our own cat! :o

Another suggestion is holly clippings, they don't like that, hurts their paws when they try and move it.

Good luck.

T.

GI JANE

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 19:31:57 »
I have 4 cats and have had to become an expert in the defence dept.If the soil is naked they will dig in it so I put up barriers everywhere.Anything to make life awkward for them.Sticks, netting, buckets, (with potatoes in) corrugated plastic.It may look untidy but it works.Just cover every square inch with what ever you can lay your hands on!! 

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 20:25:37 »
I have a very productive allotment, a lovely front and back garden and 2 much loved cats. My next door neighbour has a cat and next door but one has 2. We have no cat associated problems. Just live and let live.

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 15:27:45 »
I sympathise as my neighbour's 2 cats are a furry menace, determined to poo all over my back yard no matter what I do. They especially make a beeline for anywhere I have just planted anything, dig a massive hole, then deposit an almost equally massive, er, deposit...and don't even bury it.

Yuck!

I tried the scaredy cat plants and anti-cat pellets, also eucalyptus oil on old tea bags, and orange peel which is also said to work, all to no avail. The only effective things I have found are completely netting off the whole bed (although they still tried to poo through the netting), and covering the whole bed in bit of bramble prunings.

A well-aimed bucket of water also helps, as long as you catch them at it.

Apologies to all cat lovers out there by the way. Especially the ones who have trained their pets to only poo in a litter tray.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 20:54:17 »

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 04:48:25 »
I think it was this list that said WC40 sprayed prevents cat going to the loo where you dont want.

If it isnt this list just google it.
 There are many uses for WC40 and you may find this list usefull even if not for cats :)

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:1_fUkChRUX4J:wd40.co.uk/media/images/a/8/LIST_OF_2_000_USES.pdf+uses+for+wd40&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=uk&lr=lang_en

The text is small so you may need to paste and copy to word.

Hope this helps

Jackie

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 11:03:39 »
I use moth balls put one down about every 18 to 24 inches
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 08:49:39 »
I think it was this list that said WC40 sprayed prevents cat going to the loo where you dont want.

If it isnt this list just google it.
 There are many uses for WC40 and you may find this list usefull even if not for cats :)

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:1_fUkChRUX4J:wd40.co.uk/media/images/a/8/LIST_OF_2_000_USES.pdf+uses+for+wd40&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=uk&lr=lang_en

The text is small so you may need to paste and copy to word.

Hope this helps

Jackie

WC40?!? Have you been buying your oil based aerosol lubricating products from the nice man at the car boot sale?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal