Author Topic: Alloments and small children.  (Read 3489 times)

adeymoo

• Quarter Acre
Re: Alloments and small children.
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 07:40:16 »
I always encourage my 3 year old to go to the allotment to give mummy a break but it can be wearing sometimes when they walk through a bed to get somewhere. I get less done but that it compensated by being together and planting  or just watching them terrorise a worm by being kind to it - you know how it is, worm needs holding and cuddling until it dries out and dies. One tip - never take them to the allotment when they are in a mood as they will pull up / snap your plants. Goodbye raspberry canes.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 09:39:32 »
Yes I agree with the digging big holes and picking strawberries! Although the bigger one (11) can be more useful when he feels like it, he dug a bean bed for me not so long ago - well ok now the beans are growing thru redshank and bindweed because he didn't weed it properly! But it was a good initiative.
My neighbours seem very tolerant of them! especially the little one of 7, she goes around and chats to the neighbours and sometimes helps them out, like to harvest spuds or herbs - she never helps me with it though!!
I am sure that they will come in handy when the cherry tomatoes are ready to pick. But weeding is off teh agenda, they are a bit too lazy for that  ;)
Still they now appreciate the fresh veg, they are both good veggie eaters, I grow Brussels sprouts for my daughter! her favorites! They were very impressed with the fresh garden peas this year, they eat them raw and they like our home grown strawbs and raspberries.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 10:04:55 »
Children are not allowed on our site, though no-one takes any notice, which was absolutely fine by me (mine are grown up) UNTIL last weekend when some-one brought his two grandchildren along to 'help' water. Nice kids but not plot trained! Suffice to say that I had to keep hold of my cans but now I find my watering can rose is missing >:(.
Smile, it confuses people.

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2008, 13:56:41 »
Ok here's my take on kids on the plot...

I have 4 sprogs, 3,5,7 and 9. Had the plot nearly 3 years now and here are a list of my essentials, learnt by trial and error.

Grassy area a must, they won't stick to it all the time, but it helps.

Paths around beds, tell them why and they should get the hang of it.

Toys are a must have, found that cars, toy soldiers, old plastic dolls house (from a car boot sale) have lasted the best, dolls house has so many uses... snail sanctuary, castle fortress, teamed with bits of wood, plant pots etc . Was a complete bargain.

Planning on getting a small gazebo thing for the summer hols as shade is often hard to get.

Pop up tent is good, as they can play ( hopefully fall asleep ) in there too, and you can take it down when you leave.

Food, drink, suncream, antiseptic wipes and plasters also essential!

21 months is an interesting age, so don't get discouraged if you can't get much done this year, next year will be far easier...  cover up what you can't do and enjoy it! ;D
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

pippy

• Acre
  • North Notts Allotments!
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2008, 21:32:07 »
I have a 5 and a 3 year old, both boys and both adventurous.  What I would say is that to get the plot cleared you need some time each week there without them as they will wander and easily trample your and other peoples seedlings if you don't watch them!  Digging out weeds needs a fair bit of attention :-\

There are times of year when trampling seeds is a bigger problem - chiefly spring time, so you have to watch them when they are there then.  As things grow (and they grow and learn) it gets easier.  My 5 year old has his own bit of plot and loves to go and harvest things.  3 year old is a lot better this year than last, but I still can't trust him not to run through the neighbouring plots raspberry "tunnel" or pull out marker sticks to play swords  ;D.  thank goodness for good humoured neighbours !

They do like to have their own tools (try wilko) but you have to be clear where they can dig and where they can't.  Pop up tent and a supply of drinking water is essential.  They just love planting and harvesting potatoes too, and peas, and pumpkins .... lots of things really!
Leave only footprints, take only photographs ....

kidsspace

• Not So New ...
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2008, 22:16:26 »
My allotment is a magical place for the children, they ask to go and play there in preference to the park (Yes - Result!!) .  I got a climbing frame and swing off freecycle and we have skipping ropes, etc ( but no balls!).  My two -age 5& 8 spend hours making dens out of old carpet, drawing and reading in an old tent, terrorising tadpoles in the pond, and digging their way to australia.  They have their own little patch for growing stuff, as well as a space for digging holes.  When I got my lottie last year, we walked all round the site looking at where was ok to go and where was not.  Treading on beds should'nt be a problem as long as the boundaries are clear.  Paint a shed wall with blackboard paint and get some big chalks. I keep some patches of long grass where they love to lie and hide.  Bug pots for the long suffering wrigglies.  Their own patch of wildflowers. Not to mention picking and eating as much fresh fruit and veg as they want, although I do have to keep an eye on the strawberries!
Make it a space for them as well as for you.
Happy gardening    :)
Kidsspace :)

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2008, 13:44:04 »
This is the fourth year i've had my allotment and my children are 8 and 10 now.  I put up a swing for them (got from wilkinsons for £10 at the end of the summer sale).  I painted it a horrid brown to make it look a mess so it wouldn't get stolen and the girls still play on it loads.

I also have chalk so they can draw on the slabs and road and i have little chairs for them to sit on and a table made of a pallet.  They have hoops and quite often bring their bikes with them.

The thing they do the most is dig holes and make mud pies and collect woodlice and beatles.

I do have a piece of grass under a bramley apple tree and i also have an old parosol for a bit old shade if they don't won't to sit under the tree.

I'm hoping these will be happy memories for when they are older...i'm sure they will be.
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal