Author Topic: Peas  (Read 5276 times)

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
Re: Peas
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2008, 11:26:41 »
I found a single sugar snap pod while I was weeding and ate it before the wildlife could!

I also disturbed a pigeon when I arrived, so I think its birds rahter than rodents eating them (maybe both!)

I will get some netting up.
http://www.hatchingaplot.blogspot.com/   (seemed like a good idea,  but sadly not updated for many moons!)

syrahsuzie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 07:43:07 »
We sowed a French variety of Mangetout called Corne de Belier (Ram's Horn?) at the beginning of April - a bit late for the South of France but we had only just got that part of the plot ready.

We started picking about 10 days ago and get a good amount for 4 every couple of days - really delicious.

A second row planted a month later is already ready for picking (after 6 weeks!)

They are about 6 ft tall although they flopped in the middle - haven't really sorted out the best supports yet.

Wanted to share the harvest with the old bloke next door who helped us plant our spuds, but he has never heard of anyone eating the pods of peas!  He reckons I must have read the packet wrong and keeps telling me that I'm picking them too early !!

I thought 'Mangetout' was a french word  ;D

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 10:14:54 »
Yes it is French I believe.  Translates into "Eat it all", which I guess means you are supposed eat the pod!  (I wouldnt suggest you take it too literally and eat the plant as well though!)
http://www.hatchingaplot.blogspot.com/   (seemed like a good idea,  but sadly not updated for many moons!)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 15:37:16 »
Although many people eat the shoots...
have had a few purple podded as Mangetout, you have to get them really small though... very decorative. I won't tell Al, Deb. She has some beans that are refusing to climb up the canes..  :-[

southernsteve

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2008, 19:45:30 »
Hopefully it's third time lucky for me.

First sowing eaten by the slugs and mice.

Second by the pigeons

Planted out my third lot of plants today, with some extra seeds. Could hear those pigeons in the trees having a good laugh and licking their lips, but this time I have covered them with netting and put slug pellets down.

Mind we found rats on the plot next door the other day, so no doubt they will have their turn!
I'd rather be flying

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2008, 18:04:09 »
started picking mine the other day - Misty, lovely and so tempting to eat them raw

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2008, 18:06:14 »
The salmon flowered are in full flow now, and the Magnum Bonum...  ;D

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2008, 00:50:31 »
I'd just like to thank the people on this forum for supplying me with quite a few of the pea varieties I have.

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2008, 15:25:12 »
Having lost a couple of sowings to mice I now start mine off in a piece of guttering. When they are a couple of inches high I transplant the whole thing into the ground. Have been doing this for a couple of years now and it has alwys been successful. A new sowing every 2-3 weeks means fresh peas over a longer period. Haven't picked any so far this year but looks like the first lot will be ready in a week or 2.  :D

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2008, 11:35:45 »
We sowed a French variety of Mangetout called Corne de Belier (Ram's Horn?) at the beginning of April - a bit late for the South of France but we had only just got that part of the plot ready.

Wanted to share the harvest with the old bloke next door who helped us plant our spuds, but he has never heard of anyone eating the pods of peas!  He reckons I must have read the packet wrong and keeps telling me that I'm picking them too early !!

I thought 'Mangetout' was a french word  ;D
Suzie, experience has shown me that Mangetout (sugar snaps or snow peas for us down under) are not eaten in France!! They don't know what they are. You might have to explain to your neighbour how to eat them but I doubt "stir fry" will mean much to him :) Tell him to add them to a jardnière de légumes, that might get the message through.
My neighbours find lots of my things bizarre! They have been looking at my 3 Sisters bed with puzzlement and don't understand why I grow things in blocks rather than long rows! They have also asked me what the gooseberries are, although some of the older ones know them. They are rarely eaten in France. So I can't say what reaction the Physalis got last year!!!  ;D

I am going to sow a few more peas, I have a fantastic crop for once! I started them under the polytunnel! I will certainly do that again, it worked marvellously.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal