Author Topic: Peas  (Read 5217 times)

Patrick King

• Half Acre
Peas
« on: June 15, 2008, 09:30:45 »
went up the lottie ths morning to feed the chickens. then they caught my eye. a big bush of pea pods. they tasted great, i have harvest a few for the stir fry tonight.  :)  any one else started to eat/harvest the peas?
My plot - http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,40512.0.html
Foxes don't burrow, they only dig

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Peas
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 09:39:03 »
Not yet, but it is only  matter of time, the Purple podded have been in flower now for about ten days..  ;D

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 09:49:04 »
mine are all there just waiting for them to get fat they are in pots and it seems to take longer for them to swell up. I have a huge crop this year they never get as far as the diner table though ::)

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 10:09:18 »
I don't have one pea plant  :(  Ones I direct sowed at lottie got eaten by rats/mice and ones I tried to grow on at home didn't grow at all!!! Am I too late to sow again?   :( :( :(
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 10:44:06 »
i have some ready for harvesting the only one to have tried any so far was my parrot he loves them

outdoorgirl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 10:47:37 »
I have just sown some peas 'Kelvedon Wonder' in some homemade newspaper pots. The instructions on the back say they can be sown from March to June. With June sownings having great success. It just means you will get peas in August!  ;D

Patrick King

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 10:56:44 »
nah its not to late, i sown another lot last week.
My plot - http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,40512.0.html
Foxes don't burrow, they only dig

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 11:06:22 »
I really don't mind when I get anything to be honest, as long as I get something! The only thing I really want on time is my brussels for Christmas lol
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 11:38:59 »
First harvest was Friday just gone - Hurst Greenshaft - sown 24/02, harvest 13/06. Just enough for a small serving each... plenty more to follow...

PAULW

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 13:14:14 »
Mine are coming thick and fast now, I have put a kilo of peas in the freezer over the last three days.

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 10:54:28 »
My plants seem to get half eaten as soon as they grow.
I noticed one plant had a pod growing on it but when I went up this morning the pod had gone.

Is it likely to be birds or rodents?  Im thinking of putting some netting up, but doubt this would deter mice!
http://www.hatchingaplot.blogspot.com/   (seemed like a good idea,  but sadly not updated for many moons!)

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 12:22:06 »
I've got plenty of flowers on mine but no sign of peas  :-\

My first attempt at growing them and it's not goingwell.  They aremeant to be dwarfs but I think that stopping growing at 1ft is taking the pee-pee a little.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 18:41:54 »
This is my 5th attempt & the first time they've worked properly. I think I've sussed it now though!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 19:10:15 »
I'm having a rather mixed pea experience this year.......good old 'Show Perfection' is doing well as usual, but I've made a bit of a boo-boo with the HSL 'Parsley'...I'm growing it up a 8' high wigwam as it is supposed to be a tall pea, but mine are flowering at 2' high which looks a bit pathetic! Nice tendrils though, they really do look like parsley fronds. :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 19:16:48 »
I have 124 pea plants! No full pods yet though, the first ones I sowed seemed to stop growing but have started again.

Sown over the past 3 months:

Hurst Greenshaft
Old Homestead
Ezethas Krombek Blau Purple podded
Alderman
Ne Plus Ultra
Champion of England
Magnum Bonham
Gradus
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 19:19:18 by sawfish »

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 10:14:18 »
yes I harvested the first ones on the w'end, small servings for three  ;)
They were Early Onward bought from Alan Romans and they are brilliant. Too big infact!!! They have fallen over for the most part  :(

I hope it is not too late to sow some more! I would like to sow some now for a late summer crop!

I heard a good tip for peas: when you plant them, make a sort of protective covering of small twigs and branches that will make a sort of tunnel around them. This wil discourage birds from eating the small shoots. Once they get bigger they don't bother and you can just set the twigs upright and the peas will use them as supports.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

valentinelow

• Quarter Acre
    • 'One Man And His Dig' blog
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 10:45:28 »
I have just started picking our Kelvedon Wonder, which are delicious. The only problem is that it is a dwarf variety, so the yield isn't that great. Can anyone recommend a tall(ish) early pea that crops well?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 12:26:12 »
I've got Ne Plus Ultra and Purple-podded flowering, but no peas yet, Magnum Bonum growing merrily but not flowering yet, and Alderman that was planted a little later. I start them in pots to stop birds having them. I'll probably put in an early one a bit later on, but I'm always short of space at this time of year.

jaqz

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 16:01:52 »
My poor feltham firsts suffered a tsunami, and were badly flooded, but have survived somehow, although some were lost so not a large crop expected!  so far i have 4 pods::)

I have tried the twiggy sticks method too, it helps with the birds, but i still think some are getting eaten by mice, as only those i started off in pots have done well. The sugar snaps are also doing ok, although no pods yet.

Im hoping the rest of that bed dries out soon so i can plant a later crop of greenshaft.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 19:54:25 »
I grabbed a handfull on the way home from watering and ate them as I walked across the park.  :P  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal