Author Topic: bottling my wine  (Read 1780 times)

paddy

• Quarter Acre
bottling my wine
« on: March 31, 2008, 13:02:09 »
hi all

well the two demijohns are bubbling away nicely in our front bedroom,which makes me wonder can i use metal screw top bottles for bottling or am i better putting plastic stoppers in them. Also could i use empty plastic water bottles for bottling.

Thanks for you help and advice again

Paddy
p.s. its lovely here in Lincolnshire again today!

gowdin

• Not So New ...
Re: bottling my wine
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 14:47:20 »
hi paddy
i have always used corks when bottling my wine i think that is a more professional finish and when the plastic cover is steamed into position  oh yeh thats good looking bottle `o` wine
the screw tops are ok if the internal seal is in good condition and there is also the problem of having the screw thread in the metal top being `stripped`
in short paddy they are ok once or twice but for proper recycling long term - old fashioned bottles are the future
ps plastic is ok
cheers
gowdin

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Re: bottling my wine
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 15:37:38 »
One thing I learned this year was to store the newly bottled wine somewhere where it won't matter if it explodes!
The fermentation must not have stopped in one elderberry bottle- fortunately it was down in the basement where purple walls don't matter ;D  I used corks with a manual lever type gizmo you set on the floor which works fine for the limited quantities I do.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 15:39:35 by GrannieAnnie »
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal