Author Topic: Should I? Clearing allotment  (Read 4212 times)

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Re: Should I? Clearing allotment
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2008, 02:44:05 »
I know this sounds terrible but in our allotments when someone new takes over an overgrown plot the one thing that always works is spraying the area with glyphosate (roundup) once all the couche grass dies off go over it with a flame gun. You are left with black ground and then you can dig in manure and build raised beds. As for paths old carpets cut into 30 inch widths or 4 inches of bark chippings, which can be obtained from your local council if they have a tree squad, most councils have a need to get rid of green waste. If you do not want to spray try putting down a cover of black polythene or old carpets, woolen is best as nylon contains more chemicals than glyphosate. Uncover the bit you are digging and make sure you fork out every bit of pernicious weeds or they will regrow. A good way of clearing ground covered in weeds is to rotovate then cover the ground in black polythene, every 15 inches cut a x and plant a potato it takes about 6 months to kill off the worst of the weeds so when forking out the spuds most of the weeds have died off.

Why not just buy a spade and dig the plot, plant the plot, harvest the plot?

This year. Why all so worried about a few weeds?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2008, 09:02:18 »
If you're using black plastic dig it in a spade's depth round the edges. I found a couple of old tarpaulins on my plot when I took it on, and the couch roots ran right across underneath them.

Whatever next?

• Not So New ...
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2008, 17:14:03 »

This year. Why all so worried about a few weeds?

We are not just talking about a few weeds, it's more like Ilkley Moor. Having said that its a lot better than some I have seen on Youtube. They are very brave folk.

The ground isn't as flat as I thought so the turfcutter is out of the question. Plan 2 is now roundup (as advised by the neighbours) and rotavate once everything is deceased.

After all, time is getting on and we all want to grow something this year. It's alright digging a bit and planting when you clear a spot but I work 6 days and if the weather is foul or the wife is, I don't have too much time for the happy digging and weeding session I would so love to be doing. So sometimes shortcuts are necessary and the way the weather is at the moment - a must. Just in case any folks I don't like digging, I used to dig trenches - No - not the 1st World War. ;D

Again - thanks for all advise ;)
Happiness is leaf shaped

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2008, 18:23:00 »
Do whatever is going to work best for you - don't feel you need to defend your choices. ;)

I think that lots of people (including me) feel they are 'cheating' if they don't hand dig and weed every inch of their plot.

Going the weedkiller route is fine - just remember that it can take up to 2 weeks to see the results - so patience is key and you may need to re-apply if it rains heavily within a few hours of application.  Use a watering can to apply it so there is no spray drifting to neighbours young plants.

Good luck and post some pictures so we can see your progress. ;D

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2008, 14:01:07 »
Planting through black plastic will weaken perennial weeds, but won't kill them off - bindweed and couch will grow towards the slits that you've cut, and couch grows through tarpaulins. Unless you're willing to napalm the whole d**n plot, it's hard work I'm afraid.
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal