Author Topic: how do you take pallets apart  (Read 12328 times)

caseylee

• Hectare
how do you take pallets apart
« on: March 04, 2008, 09:40:37 »
I have manged to get a few pallets, but I have no idea on how to take them apart.  I walked outside with my srewdriver ready for some hard graft and its flat end screws in them.  Can anyone please tell me the best way to do this without breaking them.

morton

• Half Acre
Re: how do you take pallets apart
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 10:01:12 »
Put some gloves on and then hold the pallet with one corner pointing towards the ground ie with the top or bottom facing you. Then bang the corner really hard on the ground. Turn it to another corner and repeat the process and it should loosen up.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 11:13:25 »
ray used to  put a thick piece of wood under a slat, the other end he stamped on, some of the pieces  split but he used them for the ends..we now have a metal pallet stripper  :)

Phil

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 11:21:51 »
I haven't heard of a pallet stripper before, where can you get one from?  I thought the pros would use a crowbar.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 11:34:10 »
it's been made for us, like a u shape on the end of a metal bar, we'll photograph it today so's you can see what it looks like  ;D

Phil

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 11:42:34 »
Thanks in advance  :)

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 17:24:28 »
The pallets I got had nails with ridges on the ends that stops them being pulled out (yes they have a name but I can't remember it!!!). I found the quickest option was saw through the nails with a hacksaw.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 18:23:36 »
They're annular nails, Kea. Sometimes called timber nails, and yes! They are difficult to remove.
 A nail remover is an OK item but just to take the odd pallet apart would be pricey.
 You could try punching the nail heads through the slat.

mrf94

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 18:42:30 »
Pallets are easy  use an hacksaw to slide between the slats and the centres sawing the nails .... no splits  or broken bits  and no nails sticking out  If you tap the centres sideways first one way then the other you will see a gap open just big enough for the hacksaw blade.

All this banging and pulling isnt needed and it makes hard work of an easy job.

mrf94

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 18:48:21 »
we get 25 at a time so we use a pallet stripper, also, some of them are 12' long and double sided  :)

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 22:06:40 »
I'm with mrf94 - you should easily be able to get a hacksaw blade inbetween the planks and the struts. Maybe personal choice, but I find you salvage the most planks this way - I've tried a crowbar and claw hammer but it resulted in too many smashed planks. :o
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 10:23:17 »
I remember.. sometime in March 2005.. a really good thread on taking apart pallets.

It is sad that I remember this.. so I have just checked.

11 March 2005! Yippee!
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

Mark /\

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 21:37:26 »
Too many broken planks using crowbars.

I use a hacksaw. Its by far the quickest and easiest way.

You can then always use a centre punch to knock out the left over nails in the planks.

compo49

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 21:55:30 »
I use 2 chisels a slim one to knock in under slat to hold it up to give space to then use a broader one IE.a bolster type to cut threw nails  so slats are complete not broken etc. hope this helps. Mal.

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 08:43:30 »
Try the diy catalogue Screwfix for nail removers (www.screwfix.com) and crowbars. All DIYers beware! Once you've read this catalogue you will keep on ordering (it has an appeal like a good seed catalogue.)

halibut-t

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 22:47:29 »
I just use a big centre punch and a lump hammer (oh and a glove on my centre punch holding hand  ;) ) and punch the ring nails through the plank. I've used hacksaws, jigsaws and prise bars but the punch works the best.
Only dead fish go with the flow!

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 12:58:02 »
I have ended up sawing pallets with an electric saw. Being a mere girly sometimes you have to take the soft option...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 13:01:12 »
Try the diy catalogue Screwfix for nail removers (www.screwfix.com) and crowbars. All DIYers beware! Once you've read this catalogue you will keep on ordering (it has an appeal like a good seed catalogue.)

Screwfix and Tooledup.com - nearly as dangerous and seed sites.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal