Author Topic: Rats in Compost  (Read 28343 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Rats in Compost
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2008, 13:33:28 »
I gave up on those; mouse traps eventually got dragged out of sight attached to various portions of rat anatomy, and rat traps never caught anything. I might try the weight-activated traps rather then the baited ones.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2008, 21:19:49 »
My compost heap is in my garden and I don't have any rats, as my cats catch them all.  :D

The trouble is, they bring them indoors for me. Luckily they kill them first.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2008, 07:06:16 »
mouse traps eventually got dragged out of sight attached to various portions of rat anatomy[/quote]

I tie my traps to metal pegs or other immoveable object.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2008, 20:14:13 »
I found that having a snake in my compost heap really sorted out the mice and rat problem - bit extreme but an adder decided to live there!

denis trundle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 08:48:37 »
These soon get rid of they pesty critters

no more rats;D ;)

big J

• Not So New ...
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2008, 21:09:08 »
These soon get rid of they pesty critters

no more rats;D ;)
nice ferrets and dogs what cross are your dogs if you dont mind me asking thanks

denis trundle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2008, 18:30:46 »
Hi Big j, the dog on the left is a collie x lurcher and the other is lurcher x lurcher ;)

Paul Dee

• Not So New ...
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2008, 23:45:27 »
I gave up on those; mouse traps eventually got dragged out of sight attached to various portions of rat anatomy, and rat traps never caught anything. I might try the weight-activated traps rather then the baited ones.

I got rat traps from a professional exterminator fellow, its about 5x the size of a mouse trap, but the same design and certainly works. Main problem is if a mouse sets it off you have 2 halves of a mouse to dispose of.  :o

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2008, 14:30:50 »

The best trap for rabbits and rats are Fen Traps , they cost about £8.00 but they last a life time and do the job.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2008, 20:47:42 »
Thanks for reminding me; I've been trying to remember what they were called. I spotted some for a fiver on eBay.

Dear Devon

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2009, 14:28:55 »
Try adding lime to your compost bin.  It doesn't affect the compost but rats hate it and will look to move house.

MrBean

• Not So New ...
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2009, 22:47:29 »
I am afraid i use rat poison, as the little beggers are also nesting in the horse manure pile under the carpets, as i covered them to stop them getting to sodden lol

Quote from: Dear Devon
Try adding lime to your compost bin.  It doesn't affect the compost but rats hate it and will look to move house.

Lime will affect the composting process as it will kill the fungi which breakdown the contents.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2009, 12:12:23 »
I suspect I too have rats in my dalek bin as I have a huge tunnel in the compost (couple of inches diameter) and I saw something duck down it one day. Sadly it's behind the shed at home, and the shed base is raised enough for a rat to nest happily under the floor, so I think I'm going to have to push bait into the gaps and hope they stop popping into the bin for lunch. I just threw green potatoes into the hole till it filled up, meanwhile.

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal