Author Topic: tiny black beetle things on my cherry tree  (Read 2736 times)

joestig

• Not So New ...
tiny black beetle things on my cherry tree
« on: June 21, 2009, 17:11:40 »
Cherry tree has given us a bumper crop of fruit this year, but the new leaves at the end of the tree are curling up and dying, and are covered in a mass of tiny black beetle things, very squishy and thousands of them. I've snipped off all the affected leaves I can reach, but there are lots more at the top I can't.

any ideas?

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: tiny black beetle things on my cherry tree
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 17:27:34 »
Is it a 'Sunburst' cherry by any chance they normally end up covered in blackfly.

joestig

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 20:49:48 »
I'm not sure of the type, it was here when I moved in. But it could wel be a sunburst, they go dark red eventually, but right now they're yellow, orange and red, not unlike a Fender Strat "sunburst" colour!

anyway, it look slike blackfly, i'd never even heard of it before, but it's infested, they reall like the new leaves at the end of each branch, they're really sludgy and sticky.

Hosepipe or light detergent soultion no good, as the tree is pretty large, about 12-15 fott to the top.

Is it fatal?

joestig

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 20:50:51 »
pleas epardon my shoddy typing...

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 20:52:22 »
ours was affected with these last year, first full year growing..I've put a grease band around the trunk, stop the flaming ants taking the fly up..seems to have worked, they're on the blackcurrants now  :-\

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 22:29:45 »
i'm not sure what it will do the tree but if you give it sometime i'm sure the predators will find it. they'll take a little while to build up their numbers but when they do they'll clean the tree up nicely.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal